Common Misconceptions About Working From Home

work at home

When most people tell me they want to work from home, I can tell they have an idealized vision of what it will be like. They’re envisioning total creative freedom, not having to commute or pay for child care, and the ability to wear whatever they want and work whenever they want. They’ve bought in to some of the most common misconceptions about working from home. While there is a bit more freedom and some hassles become less bothersome than in a traditional office job, working from home is not as perfect as many envision it to be. If you go into it expecting nothing but fun and freedom, you’re going to be disappointed. Here are some of the common misconceptions people have

This entry was posted in Making Money, Personal Finance, Work and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Common Misconceptions About Working From Home

1. John | Married (with Debt) says:

As long as they don’t find a way to require bosses for people who work from home, I can deal with the reasons above. Great breakdown.

2. Monkey Mama says:

VERY well written and true.

{I’ve so totally been there done that AND I consult for VERY small businesses. So I am always amused when people idealize self-employment. Particularly those who have no clue, but talk down to me because clearly I have never thought about it. :rolleyes: }

The only other thing I don’t see mentioned is that the thing I hate the most about working from home is the overlap of home and work. I like to leave work at work. Period. I *can* work at home, but I never particularly want to. Different strokes for different folks, for sure, but just pointing out my personality preference for the office.

3. Monkey Mama says:

P.S. I find working at home infinitely distracting – could be a personality flaw. ;) I suppose I need those boundaries for more reasons than one. Work = work. Period. Is a good thing for my productivity. Home = home is good for my family.

4. Pingback: » Carnival Of Financial Camaraderie #22 » My University Money

5. Tony says:

Most of my work is from home, and I am one of those who really does not have to leave home. You do get a bit of cabin fever. You also miss those work conversations, even when you really did not like some of the people much.
    Overall though, I like working from home better.

6. Gail says:

I fell into working from home by accident as more of an occupational therapy for my chronic illness. For the most part I can work around my ‘sick’ days (which are several a week), and checking in the morning for any sales that need to get out gives me a reason for getting out of bed even if I don’t feel well. My husband has been self-employed for years and loves it as he is a hermit. So when we are ‘working’ we may stop to talk to each other once in a while, but for most of our working time we are alone and on different time schedules. Even if I got marvelously well and could actually go out for 8-9 hours a day to work, I would never do it again at this point. I found what works for me. When I get cabin fever, I run an errand into town, pop into the local fast food place for lunch, and am ready to come home and take a nap by the time I’m done eating. And yep I wear my jammies alot!

7. CindyM says:

I’ve worked from home now for 16 years as a medical transcriber; don’t know if I’ll be able to work to retirement as I had planned, however, due to the EMR systems being implemented in doctors’ offices and hospitals all over; my work will no doubt dry up in the next few years. Not sure what I’m going to do at the ripe old age of 58 and a mortgage yet to pay, though I’m brushing up the resume and checking things out at the local job corp.

At any rate, would agree on some points, not all, and have overall enjoyed working this way. Clothing is not an issue ever; I meet with no clients or anyone else having to do with my work. My work is isolating, I do live alone, and I seldom feel I’m “away” from my job; I have mandatory overtime most weeks. I do work evenings, a plus for me (love having my days free and can keep a closer eye on my mom with Alzheimer’s close by). No transportaion issues; I did without a car for 3 years with few problems. No office pettiness; I’ve never met any of my coworkers or supervision (50 plus people).