50 Ways to Reuse Dryer Sheets

dryer sheet close-up on jeans

I have to admit that I enjoy figuring out new ways to use things. I’ve never thought much of the lowly dryer sheet (sometimes referred to as a fabric softener sheet), but have come to learn that it can do a lot of wonderful things — even after it’s been used. You may be surprised at the wide variety of ways that used dryer sheets can be reused to still be useful even after doing a dryer run. I thought I might be able to discover 10 ways to reuse dryer sheets, but was surprised to find there were many more used than that. So before you throw that dryer sheet into the trash, see if any of the following 50 ways to reuse dryer sheets is one that makes sense for you.

It’s

This entry was posted in Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to 50 Ways to Reuse Dryer Sheets

1. trish says:

Wow, this is quite a list! An even better strategy is to not use dryer sheets at all and save 100%. Or make your own with a washcloth and a fabric softener which cost very little to do.

2. John | Married (with Debt) says:

I’m gonna try that as the deodorant remover. I hate when I get dressed and realized I’ve got a line of white on my shirt. I had no idea there were this many ways to reuse them.

3. Greenday says:

I guess I need to stop throwing away my fabric softener sheets! I didn’t know there were this many ways to use the old fabric softener sheets. I can’t believe that someone made a dress out of them (and it actually looks good).

4. s says:

waste of my time: especially the stupid video.

5. rachelli says:

great ideas!

6. giax says:

You’ve found a lot of nice uses for them on your list – awesome. Many of those uses sound actually even better than the original use for them.
    I guess if I was ever given some dryer sheets to try, I’d use them for book or deodorizer, rather than use them for their original, intended use.
    I’ve read a number of times about the dryer sheets creating a thin layer on the dryer that could cause a lot of problems for the dryer later, here one article about it (but there are many more) – so for any alternatives for making the laundry dry softer and faster, try dryer balls (or tennis balls if you have those around instead)

7. Gail says:

I don’t use them at all as I have one of those washer/dryer combos that the dryer dries clothes by dehumidifying them, so any clothes I do run through the dryer part don’t end up with static or need for softening and the rest I hang up to dry.I can’t stand the smell of them, so would never use them for what you have suggested as aroma items.

However there is one use for them that I know that you missed. If you are sewing and need to make an applique with clean finished lines, sew the dryer sheet to the right side of the applique fabric along the design lines. Cut a small line in the dryer sheet enough that you can turn it inside out. Use a blunt point stick to smooth out the sewn sides and press with an iron. You will end up with an applique that has the edges finished and you can either hand sew it to your project or attach with machine stitching.

8. loser says:

I usually use only 1/2 to 1/4 of a dryer sheet at a time. But I use my flat swiffer sheets many times over as they wash up well and can be used indefinitely.

9. Pingback: Buh-bye Maternity Leave… : Mom Illustrated

10. A b says:

Used. Ones are great to remove nail polish!

11. B D says:

If you live in the south, they are great for removing lovebugs that have splattered on the front of your car. Just wet the car and scrub them off. It won’t hurt your paint job.

12. Pingback: Don’t Throw It Away…Repurpose It! « Delray GreenMarket

13. Stephanie says:

I discovered after an ER trip, that I was allergic to dryer sheets. They are laden with chemicals – that is how they work. It should be a good clue given that it is a fairly effective rodent repellent. So, I stopped buying them. Guess what? If you take your clothing out when it is ‘just’ dry, you don’t get static. There are exceptions for certain types of fabrics, but for the most part, you could cut your usage down to one or zero loads a week using a dryer sheet. I haven’t used them (or Downy/Snuggle) in 8 years.

14. terry says:

stephanie– what kind of rodents and what kind of dryer sheets? downy/snuggle? i don’t use them (and when i do i use 7th generation free & clear), but i do have mice and want to get rid of them humanely. i’ll try this is it works and doesn’t cause me to keel over from the smell of them.

15. J.J.Frankenfield says:

Ive used fabric softner sheets for yrs but never knew all the add’l ways I could be using….BUT DO NOW!!! Very informative and hoping to try them all eventually!!!!!

16. Pingback: How Much Do Dryer Sheets Cost? | HowMuchIsIt.org

17. desprate! says:

will this help get the odor out of my couch?
    my new puppy had a poopy accident on my couch and i scrubbed it all out but it still smelt so i put some stain and odor remover on it but it just made it stink like horrible chemicals. what do yall think? do yall have any other recommendations?

18. Nate says:

Try some fabreeze

19. JT says:

It really worked well on soap scum on my glass shower doors…. 2 used dryer sheets and one paper towel to wipe away streaks. Amazing idea! Saved me so much time!
    -thanks

20. Joe Mullins says:

I’ve used them to help repair rips in my favorite pieces of clothing that I will wear until the threads dissolve!
    just cut pieces of two-sided hemming tape to cover the rip with about a 1/2 inch extra on all sides of the rip; place a piece of use dryer sheet to cover the hemming tape and then iron. I put a pice of cotton cloth over the dryer sheet to prevent it from possibly sticking to the iron. It workied great on my jeans!

21. Carol says:

Lysol spray is the best for urine and “poopy” smells on carpeting and upholstery. First, clean with soap and water using a rag. Then spray on the Lysol. Alternately, you can use the liquid Lysol. This also works for baby “accidents”, including milky spit-ups.

22. Alea says:

I don’t use them because I read they cause damage to your dryer. Also they leave a film on your lint screen. So be sure to wash your lint screen now and then. This would all be great if you could use unused dryer sheets.

23. Ana says:

I use inside one the clean and polish chrom in my house and on my car! As well as remove dead bugs of the front of my car and windshield!

24. Pingback: Waste Not Want Not

25. Pingback: 11 Awesome Alternative Cleaning Uses for Used Dryer Sheets

26. Pingback: reuse your Used Dryer Sheets for spot cleaning | Spark of Allure

27. Halima Crenshaw says:

Funny Ive tried about 7 OF THESE SUGGESTIONS AND …REALLY ACCURATE INFO

28. al says:

get some foley spray ….it deodorizes and takes out most stains, even ink. i get it at smart and final but pet stores have it to. it is really great for removing organic stuff….i buy a gallon. and put it in a smaller spray bottle.