Money Lessons Learned from Pretty Woman

Pretty Woman movie

The movie, “Pretty Woman” came out when I was in college and it remains one of my favorites to this day. On the surface, the movie is about a prostitute (Vivian, played by Julia Roberts)) who finds the man of her dreams (Edward, played by Richard Gere) on one of her “dates” and they live happily ever after. Since prince charming is obscenely rich and the hooker isn’t, the movie also makes some interesting observations about money and class.

Poor Money Management Can Make You Do Desperate Things

You can make the case that the whole reason Vivian is a prostitute is because of poor money management. She left home with no skills and no money. Hooking is the only jo

This entry was posted in Debt, Entertainment, Personal Finance, Relationships, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Money Lessons Learned from Pretty Woman

1. Nika says:

I thought that the money lesson in Pretty Woman, as well as numerous other “chick flicks” is that you can make bad choices with money, but as long as you are pretty and nice you will be ok — eventually a loving man will come and rescue you. When you find the right man your money problems will go away and you’ll never have to worry about it again.

2. rob62521 says:

Good points…thanks for the article!

3. bben says:

I have my own story about how sales people treat customers based on looks. I was 21 years old and had been fishing with a friend all day. We were both dressed in old smelly clothing with holes. On the way home, we stopped at a place that sold million dollar yachts just to look. We were in the Marine Corps and had virtually no money. The salesman at Hatteras Yachts treated us if we rich. He gave us a personal tour of the boats and never once implied that we were poor or couldn’t afford a yacht. I asked him why as we were obviously poor an in the service. He replied that you never know who really has money or who will come into money. By treating a couple of bums like royalty, he was getting the practice he needed when a wealthy client did come in. That was a real salesman who earned his commissions.

4. Patty says:

similar to bben. My then fiancee wanted to get an idea of the ring style and size I wanted for my engagement ring. We went into Macy’s and went to the high end jewelry counter. It was a hot day so we were in shorts, tee shirts, sandals, and the woman behind the counter looked us up and down. Showed us a few ring and my husband pointed to the ring that looked like Princess Diana’s rock. Snootily she said that she would have to have the security guard over if we wanted to look at that ring. Needless to say both hubby and I were insulted. Yes I have a beautiful engagement ring, I get tons of compliments, and yes the woman lost the sale and the store lost a major purchase. Never assume that the person because of how they dress aren’t the billionaire next door. When you have money you don’t necessarily flaunt it.

PS the original ending to Pretty Woman was that Julia Roberts was killed by a client. The ending was changed because it was a downer.

5. John | Married (with Debt) says:

So the original ending with Vivian murdered by a client suggests that ‘work will kill ya’ is the ultimate money lesson.

Work hard while you are young and get out while the gettin’ is good.

6. Gail says:

I remember walking into a home repair store and asked the clerk about their kitchen cabinets. She wouldn’t get up off her chair to talk to me and just told me the stock ones were over there–pointing. I asked again to be shown the cabinets and she did the same thing. I walked out of the store and ended up buying my custom kitchen cabinets elsewhere and incdiently that chain store went belly up about 6 months later.

No you can never judge a person by their cover. Some may not look like they have much have plenty in the bank and those that look like they have lots are deeply in debt.

7. Pingback: Carnival of Personal Finance: The Little Prince's Journey to Financial Enlightenment | Well Heeled Blog