Snowflaking: 30 Ways to Snowflake Your Debt Away

snowflaking

Most people that have decided to take control of their finances and reduce their debt have come across at least one of the various debt snowball methods. Basically, creating a debt snowball is a way to arrange one’s debt so as to tackle a single debt at a time (to more efficiently pay off the debts) than trying to pay off all the debts at the same time. It’s an effective way to arrange the debt so that there is the greatest opportunity to succeed in paying it all off.

While the vast majority of people who adopt the debt snowball method pay what they can from their regular salary each month and leave it at that, there is a way to be even more proactive. For those who are truly se

This entry was posted in Debt, Making Money, Personal Finance and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Snowflaking: 30 Ways to Snowflake Your Debt Away

1. Benjamin says:

I have never heard of debt snowflaking before, but it makes sense. When I was in debt, I wanted to put as much money as I could toward it each month (it became an obsession) because I realized it was like getting a 30% return on my money.

2. Dan says:

The problem I have with this debt snowflake idea is that after work, there is nothing that I want to do except rest. I am completely exhausted and have no desire to figure out another way to earn some money. And the reason that I work all week is so i can have some time for myself on the weekends. How can you enjoy life if every waking moment you spend trying to earn money to pay down debt? I don’t think this is realistic for most people.

3. Mary says:

Maybe I’m just not that creative, but I can never seem to come up with way to make extra money. Or if I do, the time needed is so much that it isn’t worth it for what I would be earning.

I like the idea of finding ways to make money on the side. I surely could use any extra income streams that are available.

How do you come up with these ideas? How to do go about starting to implement them? I need someone to make a step by step program so that I can understand how all these ideas equate into more money into my pocket.

4. jeannie says:

Thank you for this article — I love it! I have been doing the snowball for about 6 months now and never thought about adding little extras to the debt. I’m all over that!!

I even have some ideas on how I might be able to go about it. My sister needs to hire baby sitters on a regular basis and I help out when I can –I’m thinking that I can do it more often if she is able to pay me a small bit. She’ll pay less than a regular baby sitter and I will have a little extra to snowflake. Wish me luck!!

5. Jeffrey says:

@Dan I understand the frustration — I think there are two ways to look at it. If you only snowball, it’s going to take longer to get out of debt than if you add snowflakes as well. Yes, you spend more time on the debt now, but you end up debt free sooner. That being said, you need to work out a debt reduction plan that works best for you because the #1 essential point is that you stick with whatever plan you have.

6. Jeffrey says:

Like anything, it simply takes practice. Do your research and pursue the ideas that interest you the most. Through trial and error, you should be able to find something that works for you.

7. jsdty says:

Can you really make multiple payments toward debts during the month? I don’t know why, but I always assumed that you could only make that one monthly payment.

Say I put $800 toward my debt snowball each month as one payment. If I make more payments during the month (say 4 payments of $200 each), will I save a lot of money on interest?

8. Pingback: » Carnival Of Financial Camaraderie #16 » My University Money

9. Carol says:

I mystery shop. Its easy, legitimate and I do not have to adhere to another person scheduling my time. I only choose the ones that fit into my schedule.

10. Gail says:

My son whose only debt is some school loans, collects the pennies and other change he sees on the ground and when he gets to a roll of pennies, he deposits them in the bank and then transfers the money to his ING savings account. Big deal what is 50 cents I can see some of you saying? Well this kid is autistic yet lives on his own, supports himself, has a full time job, just started a part time job, had worked part time during the fall for harvest season at a local food factory, and he still saves pennies. He knows that he has to fight for everything he has and he fights hard and works harder than just about anyone I know. While he has almost $5000 in savings, his older brother with no developmental problems is over $10,000 in credit card debt plus I don’t know how much in other car and school debt. But this does help to prove that those little snowflakes, rolls of pennies, do add up in his savings account along with the money he earns with on line surveys, etc. Every little bit helps! What makes me prouder is he learned much of this from me!

11. Pingback: Live A Little: Have A Latte

12. Pingback: Why It’s Difficult for Young Adults to Save Money - 20's Finances | 20's Finances

13. Pingback: How to Pay Off Your Credit Card Debt Fast

14. Pingback: Use Debt Snowflakes to Speed Up Your Debt Snowball |

15. Pingback: Debt Snowflaking -- And a Contest!

16. I usually snowflake my cashback from retail websites back into my debt. I just need a bigger snowflake!

17. Nina says:

Might I show off my sea glass jewelry? It is better ~ not to mention LOWER PRICED that the ones in this article :D

TX! Nina

18. PatientSaver says:

I have had to get creative finding ways to earn money because I am not working f/t, so yes, i am actually driving a guy to and from work for pay; he lost his license due to a DUI and advertised on Craig’s List for a driver. He won’t get his license back for another 10 months, and becus this is “under the table,” I’m actually making more money doing this on an hourly basis than the last miserly p/t job i had working for a publishing company as a project editor.

19. Ashley says:

this was a really helpful article. I use GPT websites to earn a generous amount of money. it works. I basically do odd jobs for now.