How To Waste Smartly

waste or recycle

I hate waste. I hate that sometimes I have to throw something away without having gotten maximum use out of it. I hate the waste of money and the waste of resources. Unfortunately, I’ve learned that there are instances where I end up wasting things. For example, I cannot use up an entire head of lettuce before it goes bad. I’ll buy it because I need or want to make a salad and then I’ll put some on sandwiches for a couple of days, but before I can use it all up, it’s gone bad. I have the same thing happen with things like sour cream or dips that can’t be kept for long periods. I also end up wasting medications. I’ll get a cold and have to buy drugs but si

This entry was posted in Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to How To Waste Smartly

1. I feel your pain! Sour cream is something that annoys me. I don’t like it, but my husband does. The cheapest container is usually about $1, but it only lasts about a week. There are pretty few opportunities to use it during this time period. I’ve been looking for a restaurant supply store (or something similar) that might sell sour cream in little packets. I’m sure it would be expensive (per ounce) but if it helps 90% of the container from going bad, I’m sure it would be worth it!

2. Don’t forget to sell it on a garage sale, ebay or Craigs list. At our house we easily make $200-400 per year just selling stuff we no longer use or like.

3. minny says:

Lettuce and other greens. Wash and dry the leaves – then put them in a plastic freezer bag, tie the top and keep it in the salad box in your fridge. It should last about ten days.

If you freeze flour/oats weevils don’t appear, you can freeze these things as you freeze other stuff.

I agree with everything else you say.

4. Kate says:

I am so happy that I know I am not the only one who absolutely hates to waste food and medication. I have also “punished” myself that if I bought something because I had a craving for it and I didn’t use it all, the next time I have a craving for it I don’t buy it. It helps my waste-line and my waistline!

I also found that organic milk and eggs tend to last longer than other brands. Not sure why but it makes me happy!

5. Christine says:

freecycle.org :)

6. Gail says:

Here is a way to save lots on cold medicine. If you treat (medicate) a cold it goes away in 7 days. If you don’t it goes away in a week. The best thing to do for a cold is rest, lots of fluids and rest. Leave the meds alone. You will save money and your body will thank you. The only thing those meds do is cover up the symptoms so you can keep plowing along and not letting your body have a chance to rest which is the main thing it needs. AND antibiotics of any kind don’t do a thing for a cold other than make all of us more resistant to the effects of antibiotics when they are actually needed and then we end up with super bugs that can’t be treated except by the strongest medications.

7. Kaitlyn says:

Donate to a local homeless shelter. Save the medicine containers. Even your prescription ones. They usually are in dire need of extra refillable bottles. Also try the egg test if you think the eggs might be bad. If they float, don’t use them. If they sink, they are fine to eat! Happy Saving.

8. Mary E.S. says:

If your eggs are going bad before you can eat them,freeze them. One egg will fit one ice cube section,scramble the egg a bit,then pour it into a ice cube tray section and freeze.Once frozen,pop it out and place in a freezer bag.Use them in recipes or for scrambled eggs.They will keep up to 6 months like this.I’ve done this for years when I get a good deal on more eggs than I can use right away.Sour cream can also be frozen but make sure to store it upside down when freezing.If you wrap your lettuce in paper towels,it absorbs the moisture and keeps it fresh longer or use aluminum foil to wrap it in.