Ways to Reuse Dryer Lint: Strange Ways to Save Money

If you have a dryer at home, you know that dryer lint is never in short supply.

It seems like one of those things that should just always go into the trash, but there are ways to use it that might save you a little money (after you save money using your dryer), or at least be better than simply tossing it.

I keep a small bucket in the laundry room just for lint. When I get enough of it, I use it for various projects around the house. If you want to do more with your lint than just throw it away, here are some ideas.

Stuff small dolls/bears/pillows/quilts: For any project that requires stuffing, lint can be a good alternative. It is flammable, though, so you might not want to use it for kidsR

This entry was posted in Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Ways to Reuse Dryer Lint: Strange Ways to Save Money

1. patientsaver says:

“Use it for insulation: You can place lint inside walls as insulation. Because of its flammability, make certain you don’t use it near anything electrical.”

NO NO NO. REALLY BAD IDEA if you ever have an accidental fire and want to get out of the house alive.

There’s a reason why commercially sold insulation materials meet certain standards in regards to flammability.

While cellulose is inherently flammable, for instance, flame-retardant chemicals are added to reduce flammability to acceptable levels.

Please, folks, don’t create a tinderbox just to avoid throwing away dryer lint!

2. Max says:

Interesting uses, but patientsaver up here is right.
    For the rest, nice useful infos guys!

3. Gail says:

I have read that dryer lint can be used in making art quilts depending on the color of the lint it can look like rocks, moss, water, etc.

My dryer doesn’t produce lint as I hang most of my stuff and the dryer itself is a single washer/dryer combo that dries clothes by dehumidifying them. I don’t even use fabric softner sheets and the washer cycle uses loads less water. It was an expensive machine but well worth it in the long run. I do miss the lint when I see a project that calls for it though!

4. C.A. Burns says:

Uses for lint… *I* choose to use homemade laundry detergent, and there is NO lint from the dryer. That “lint” is actually parts of your clothes being extracted from the harsh chemicals in the soap powder or liquide laundry detergent. I was amazed how, after a few loads, NO MORE LINT. But this isn’t an article about what to do w/no lint, so when I did have lint, I would put it out in the yard for the birds to make their nests.
    Anyone interested in making your own laundry detergent, go to Tipnut.com and search homemade laundry detergent. PLUS you’ll probably find plenty of uses for lint. :)

5. Cindy says:

The lint is tiny bits of your clothing that is being rubbed off by the tumbling of your dryer. Save your clothes from wear and save energy by hanging your clothes to dry.

6. TC says:

I have seen many sites advise against distribution of dryer lint for birds and squirrels due to a) perfumes and chemicals and b) once wet, it gets stiff and cardboard-like. Something to keep in mind for the domestic pet rodent, too.

7. Tyler Westover says:

Actually the perfumes would deter ticks/parasites from thriving in a bird nest hence why birds use the material. And lint does not get rock hard after getting wet. What?