Take Financial Control of Your Life

I have a relative who is at the mercy of every tiny financial bump in the road. When the dog has to go to the vet, or gas goes up two cents, or the power bill is higher than expected, or the car needs new tires, he is thrown into chaos. He hasn’t got the money for these things so everything becomes a crisis. It all either has to go on credit cards or be borrowed from family and friends. Since things like this happen in life all the time, this man is rarely settled. He’s constantly juggling accounts, working two jobs, and running around asking/hoping for money. He’s always changing jobs, looking for one that pays just a little but more. As if it will help.

It would be differe

This entry was posted in Budgeting, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Take Financial Control of Your Life

1. Joe Paretta says:

Excellent piece! I’ve certainly “been there.”

Thanks for the practical approach that you take.

Best,
    Joe

2. minny says:

I’ve met people like this – what we don’t understand is that they , ‘deserve’ an affluent lifestyle! We in the UK say ‘they want to live a champagne lifestyle on beer money’ – mmm, let me know if anyone ever achieves it!

3. cynthia says:

Great advice. Been there and just getting out of this type of situation. I am now setting aside money into an emergency fund to reduce the stress in my life. I got tired of living on the edge every month.

Thanks.

4. Gail says:

While good advice, it is important to remember that not everyone gets a paycheck or an income tax refund. As lower middle class self-employed people, it is hard to come up with extra each week especially if money doesn’t come in weekly. And think of those that only have Social Security which have not gotten an increase in their benefit in three years! That being said, people in this situation really need to be aware of expenses including upcoming ones like Christmas, and car inspections, etc. Tucking money away when you can is extremely important.

5. larabelle says:

Great advice…I used to live on the edge financially and I was stressed out. Now I have an emergency fund and although it took a while to save…I am much more calm.

6. Debbie M says:

Even having just $500 set aside can make a really big difference. Often having just $100 set aside will be enough.

Especially if you can give yourself $20 – $50/month of wiggle room so you can keep adding to that savings when things don’t go wrong (and not have to withdraw any savings for emergencies of only $20 – 50).

7. Aaron says:

It’s a sad reality that many adults live paycheck to paycheck and wonder what’s wrong. By cutting out excess expenses and building an Emergency Fund, people can take charge of their Financial Future. You won’t become rich overnight but slowly working towards a goal and making smart decisions can build a brighter Financial Future

8. Janet says:

My niece, who is always broke, smokes like a chimney. I continually ask her why she doesn’t quit and she continues to say she is trying. I refuse to loan her any money because to her it is not a loan, it is a gift. She stiffs everyone she has ever “borrowed” from. I don’t mind helping people in need, but I work hard for my money and I really don’t have any sympathy for people who smoke then say they are broke.