New Uses for Family Mementos

Over the years I’ve inherited quite a bit of stuff from my relatives.

Dishes, jewelry, books, scrapbooks, pictures, clothing, keepsakes, letters, souvenirs from far away places, and even a trunk have all come my way as relatives have passed away or downsized their lives. For the longest time this stuff just sat in various places in my house. Some of it was in the attic because I had no real use for it and I wasn’t sure that I wanted to sell it, throw it away, or donate it somewhere. Despite the fact that some of it had no real use for me, it was still sentimental stuff. Sentimental stuff is hard to get rid of.

After a while, I got tired of the clutter. I got tired of tripping ove

This entry was posted in Frugal, Personal Finance, Relationships and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to New Uses for Family Mementos

1. Tom says:

Very good thinking! I had some handmade items like blankets and afghans from my mother who is no longer alive. I had just been storing them as treasures. I decided to use them instead.

2. Kim says:

This is some GREAT advice, especially for people so afriad to let go of things from people who meant so much in their lives. Repurposing, but if not that, then freecycle or donation.

3. shelly says:

Great ideas. I suggest taking photos of those “precious” items you have to part with as a memento. A photo of all your old sports trophies takes up much less room than the actual trophies! Etc.

4. Gail says:

For years I had a very old vintage pewter bowl sitting around ocllecting dust. Wasn’t to my taste but a family momento. When we moved 5-6 years ago, hubby needed a set place for his keys and wallet and suddently that bowl is being used again. Even if he forgets to put his keys or wallet away, I know where to put them so he knows where to find them.

5. tanmay says:

great

6. nad says:

Laminating items RUINS them. The plastic lamination literally eats up paper, and ultimately destroys the item you laminated.

What happens when you move? Those dish-filled pavers are history. Why not sell or give them to other family members, and keep a few of your favorite dishes?