Golf Ball Hunting: Strange Ways to Make Money

Golf balls end up in some strange places. The woods, the water, people’s yards (or windows), and in swimming pools. All those lost golf balls can mean money for you, if you have the energy and desire to collect them, clean them up, and resell them.

There are varying levels of dedication to the craft of golf ball hunting. Some people are content to simply walk the courses and nearby wooded areas and neighborhoods, picking up whatever they can find. Others use nets to trawl the edges of the water hazards. Still others do full dive or wading gear and dive the murky ponds in search of the balls at the bottom. I’ve also heard of people who approach homeowners who live on the edges of

This entry was posted in Making Money, Personal Finance and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Golf Ball Hunting: Strange Ways to Make Money

1. James Dixon says:

It’s bull. Really. I’ve lived by a golf course for 40 years. Golfers aren’t willing to pay more than 25 cents for a used ball, and the most I’ve made in bulk was at 5 cents each.

On top of this, the local “Pro” (a-hole) thinks he Owns the course and all balls on it. He’ll make trouble for you. There are even some ball brands which enforce a rule that only licensed dealers can sell them.

I’m not saying that you can’t find lots of golf balls hanging around a golf course, only that finding a means of Selling Them profitably is near-impossible.

2. Patrick says:

I’m not sure you know what you’re talking about James, I’ve made 500$ in 2 days and I didn’t even try that hard. You must be lazy.

3. Bill says:

Yeah James, in three days hunting with a friend, we made 400 each

4. Aaron says:

Agreed…..Titleist Pro V1’s I can get almost a $1 each for…..I typically find 30-40 balls a day

5. Chris wilder says:

I make great money when I can find the work does anyone know of company’s looking to sub contract divers.

6. David says:

Great way to make money. I have collected about 600-700 balls over time. But after being kicked off the course multiple times, I am gaining a bad reputation. But if the ranger finds you, they will tell you that there has been a gator sighting in the lake you were in… Most likely, their lying

7. Crazy J says:

How old do you have to be? And can i work at putt putt places? Thanks :3!

8. Dustin says:

Unfortunately James Dixon ^^^ is 100% wrong. Golf ball retrieval has grown tremendously since the late 90’s. It’s over a 200 million dollar business annually. There are no brands of balls that cannot be sold used. As the owners of titleist found this out by losing a lawsuit trying to prevent the resale of their used golf balls. I myself have 40 divers in 9 states and bring in an average of 240,000 balls monthly. I pay the divers 8 cents per ball no matter condition. They average around 3,000 balls per day. Granted some months are less busy, but it is a constant, people will always play golf and they will hit balls in the hazards. So it’s obvious mr. Dixon hasn’t done his research.