Your Dreams Aren’t Big Enough

Years ago, I was having a conversation with a very wise friend. I was lamenting how it seemed like I was living a small life where nothing very interesting happened. I wasn’t very happy. My friend asked me what my dreams were. I listed some common, expected things like getting a house, advancing at work, and maybe doing some traveling. My friend said, “Well, that’s your problem. Your dreams aren’t big enough.”

At the time I didn’t think much of her advice. It didn’t really register as anything more than words (which is a nicer way of saying I thought she was spouting some New Age BS). However, once I really reflected on it I realized she was right. M

This entry was posted in Personal Finance and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Your Dreams Aren’t Big Enough

1. mamasita says:

Love this article! Many of us need to get out of our comfort zone in our thoughts and actions. Bigger dreams can lead us to wonderful places.

2. 20 and Engaged says:

How true is that! I was upset about getting laid off as opposed to promoted but now see it as a blessing, where I now get the opportunity to start my own business, and grow my own empire instead of following someone else’s. I love it! It’s all about dreaming big. The emergency fund example was right on target too,

3. thriftygal says:

Thanks for this article. It’s just what I needed today. I have been unemployed for over a year and I realized after reading your article that I had no dreams. Time to right that ship. Thanks again.

4. Sonja says:

Brilliant article! Thank you so much. I feel very inspired!

5. Minny says:

Absolutely BANG ON!

6. Gail says:

Without dreams (or goals) in life we are rudderless and unforunately many people are like that these days. Just floating through life.

7. ross says:

I actually have the opposite problem. I get really big ideas that sound really weird when i tell people about them.
    These days, i just keep them to myself, until they are at a stage where i’m finally moving forward with them, and i have most of the details ironed out.

8. asmom says:

Great article, I couldn’t agree more!

9. MonkeyMama says:

I’d add the caveat to make sure your dreams are *your dreams* and not others. I think the flip side is people feel pressure to have big dreams and kind of overlook the simplicities in life.

Just as an example? I keep reading about local people starting international charities to make a difference in the world. But many of the problems they wish to conquer are prevalent in our own community. I know they mean well, but this attitude drives me a little nuts. I wish more people would give more attention to the communities they live in.

Likewise, lots of conversations with wonderful people who feel they should be “doing more.” While losing sight of how important they are in their family or community, etc. These people certainly need dreams and goals, but I think they get stuck feeling like their dreams should be big and grand. I think many people would be content lowering the bar just a bit. For example, as a mom I Feel a giant responsibility to raise my children well. I find it easy to tune out the message that I should be doing *more* with my life at current. My plate is full and my work is important and rewarding. To others (who don’t know me) I am not dreaming big enough, but I am pretty confident that I know what is important in life. I am a big dreamer. My dreams just aren’t always very secy and exciting. ;)