Frugal $200 Pair of Sunglasses

expensive frugal sunglasses

I just purchased a $200 pair of sunglasses. While many people would consider this an unnecessary splurge, I consider it to be a frugal purchase. Some of you are undoubtedly assuming that I have lost my senses, but I’m able to make this statement with confidence because I know myself well.

I rarely buy things because I am homeless and have no place to put them, and because there really isn’t a whole lot that I need to make me happy. The $200 I spent on sunglasses will exceed what I pay for all the rest of my clothing for the rest of the year. So why was I willing to pay $200 for a pair of sunglasses and also consider it a frugal move?

First and foremost, I had the money in my bu

This entry was posted in Budgeting, Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Frugal $200 Pair of Sunglasses

1. krantcents says:

There are certain things that are worth the money! Sunglasses is one of them! I wear prescription glasses and the higher quality frames hold up better.Anyway my vision plan subsidizes the purchase.

2. devin says:

Rationalizing your purchase does not make it frugal. Frugal would have been taking care of your $10 pair of sunglasses which you said were perfectly acceptable so they lasted 5 years. It’s this type of rationalizing that keeps people deep in debt.

3. Lisa Hallman says:

Although the article rationalizes his purchase. Frugality is about knowing when to splurge for a better pair. What “devin” is referring to is more like being cheap. There is a reason a $5 pair of sunglasses are $5. They are cheap, don’t offer the same protection, don’t fit well, break easily and usually look like crap. I think maintaining frugality, is about buying a $300 knife that will last you the rest of your life AND you can be proud of what you own. Those $5 sunglasses, also made him more wasteful, so if you purchase a more expensive set of sunglasses, he is now less wasteful to the earth.

4. leonil gonzales says:

Typical example of justifying a bad purchase.the donation to the charity makes it even worse,you don’t have to buy something extravagant and feel good about it because you donate a double of the amount to a charity.
    If you finances permits it,your heart should dictate the goods,services or financial assistance that you give to church or charity.

5. Natalie says:

I sincerely hope you never sit on those glasses sir.

6. Gail says:

Not necessarily what I would consider frugal, I’ve been wearing the same pair of prescription glasses for years now and need to replace them. But you didn’t go into debt for them, they were something you wanted, and you don’t have to justify what you spend to anyone. I’m sure any of the negative remarks here are by people who have spent a lot more than $200 combined on frivolous purchases themselves.