You Create Your Own Luck

My friends often comment on how lucky I am to be able to travel as much as I do. While I’m certainly lucky in many respects, the truth is that I have created the “luck” that allows me to travel as much as I do. Most of my friends believe that I spend a great deal of money to do all the traveling that I do. The truth is that while I probably spend a comparable amount as they do each month, I spend my money in very different areas than they do.

It didn’t just happen that I have been able to travel a great deal. It has been an orchestrated effort. The key is that I know what makes me happy so I’ve concentrated on making that happen.

I like to have new experiences

This entry was posted in Budgeting, Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Travel and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to You Create Your Own Luck

1. 20 and Engaged says:

It’s not even about luck; you create your own opportunities. People fail to realize many things are done because people go out and seek the chances to do it. You don’t know unless you ask or try.

2. Carol says:

My favorite is how people tell me I’m “lucky” I don’t have a car payment. I also have a car that has 160K miles on it and is over 10 years old, while they have to have the newest car with all the bells and whistles. It’s a matter of priorities. I prefer to not have a car payment and care for the car I currently own. If that makes me lucky, well, then I’m lucky.

3. PatientSaver says:

Very interesting article, Jeffrey.But it wasn’t clear to me whether you travel all the time, as a few other bloggers I know do, or if you have a homebase somewhere. That’s why your comment that you are “purposefully homeless” was so interesting to me, and i hope you share more with us about that soon.

4. Chris says:

You certainly are one of the most frugal people that I have read about! I can’t wait for your story that explains how you manage to survive being homeless!

BTW, do you take photos while you are on vacation?

5. Jeffrey says:

@Chris

The homeless post it up here: http://www.savingadvice.com/articles/2011/01/27/106604_10-reasons-i-am-purposely-homeless.html

I do take a lot of photos, but share them namely on facebook. Feel free to friend me (but make sure to note you are from savingadvice) and be warned, I’m ultra liberal ;)

6. Amber says:

Jeffery,
    My boyfriend lives the same lifestyle as you and most often does not spend more than $3g a month. Although we have a place in Salt Lake, he prefers to tell people that he doesn’t have a home and the world is his home. He saves money by crashing on peoples couches. I do get to travel with him about 1-2 times a month, and that is the only time he really splurges with his money is when I go with. So it is possible to live this kind of lifestyle and be happy, I’m enjoying it so far.