Take Some Personal Responsibility: Strange Ways to Save Money

Last week, Beer Guy wrote an entertaining article about some sage financial advice his uncle gave him when he was a boy. The advice (more colorfully phrased) was to avoid getting a girl pregnant until such time as he could be financially responsible for that action. Getting a girl pregnant too young equals financial disaster. While some people found the uncle’s advice offensive, I think the uncle was on to something. I suspect that this uncle was a big proponent of a lost concept: Personal responsibility.

Personal responsibility means that you literally take responsibility for your actions. You accept that you make your choices and do the things you do, so therefore you accept any and

This entry was posted in Frugal, Health, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Take Some Personal Responsibility: Strange Ways to Save Money

1. Steven James says:

What a nice article. I agree with everything. Why do people smoke when they know it kills them and they have to spend so much money on it? Despite these facts I would like to mention another good way to save money! I try to find ways to save money all the time!

2. Anita Roberson says:

Teaching the meaning of

3. alaa says:

Also alcohol consumption, phone bills and tanning payments can reduced!!

4. Jaime says:

I agree that people need to take personal responsibility, they need to be unafraid to say “I’m sorry, it was my fault and I’ll do what I can to make it as right as possible” and people also need to accept those apologies.

However, there is a reason some of those lawsuits (big tobacco) win – there ARE predatory practices out there that companies use to garner customers. Tobacco/nicotine is addictive and it is wrong for tobacco companies to market to children in the hopes of addicting someone young when their judgement may not be fully formed, in hopes they’ll encourage a 30 year habit. Yes, we all know smoking is bad for you, unfortunately addiction does not usually work that way. If it did, smokers, alcoholics, drug addicts, shopaholics, overeaters, etc would be able to quit on a dime and, generally, that’s just not the case. There are chemical foundations of addiction as well as emotional causes.

I’m not saying addicts shouldn’t take personal responsibility – they should, it’s the only way they’ll quit, but they’re not the only ones who should take responsibility.

5. Janet says:

You forget getting your nails done. My sister gets her nails done every other week! $35 a crack.

Another is going to college – going in to debt to do it – and then not graduating. I’m all for enhancing your earning potential by going to college, but if you aren’t committed to finish, don’t go into debt in the first place. My sister is still paying for her lack of degree, 10 years later. She only needs 3 or 4 more classes, but says she can’t afford it. It makes no sense. She is actually worse off than if she had never gone.

6. skrsna says:

well this is a very good references as a path to rectify your self weaknesses.I am 38 years old and very much lack of this and ended up in extreme financial turmoil. I have a very bed habit of drinking alcohol and nothing left in my bank account right now, I decided to travel to Singapore to work as a security officer even though i have a diploma in accounting and work with good earning,finally its all destroy of no personal responsibility. I believe that i learned from my past