5 Do-It-Yourself Services You Should Leave to the Professionals

Many people are tightening their belts in these uncertain economic times. One of the first places we often look to save money is finding projects around the home that we can do ourselves rather than calling the professionals. All do-it yourself projects are not created equal, though, and there are times when you are better off calling in the professionals rather than potentially causing more problems by doing it on your own.

Economists refer to “opportunity cost” in situations like these. Simply put, opportunity cost is “The cost of an alternative that must be forgone in order to pursue a certain action. Put another way, the benefits you could have received by taking an alt

This entry was posted in Frugal, Housing, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to 5 Do-It-Yourself Services You Should Leave to the Professionals

1. Annie Jones says:

I’m just curious why you selected these tasks for your list. My husband has done all of these at least once, and did them well. I think it depends on the person/family as to whether or not these particular jobs are left to the professionals. Not everyone has the skills to do these kind of projects, but many people do.

2. Jaime says:

Another opportunity cost to consider is simply time. If a professional can do in 4 days what might take you 2 or 3 months of weekends, it may be worth the extra money to farm it out.

Also, you may save money on the labor, but if you have to buy expensive tools (with no idea if your early DIY experiences will whet the appetite or destroy it completely), then the cost difference may not be enough to overcome the convenience factor.

3. Gail says:

I have moved at least 30 times in my life with both my family as a kid and as an adult. Other than paying some guys to help once, we have never hired professional movers.

I’ve also been married twice and both husbands quite readily installed kitchen cabinets–current husband has done it twice now, once in our old house and once hear. Actually he built the whole house we live in.

I don’t think these are really the best pieces of advice. Some things you should leave to professionals is surgery and dentistry.

4. Daddy Paul says:

You sure have nailed it!

5. Breton Wench says:

Strange that one you do not mention is Tree Surgery, my husbands profession.
    It is definitely cheaper in the long run to get a professional to do large tree jobs in the long run than pay for the repairs to the garage, windows or vehicle that has ended up being damaged – and we know, having rescued some hung up and fallen trees that owners have tried to tackle.
    Also, a tree surgeon is insured for accidents – you are not !

6. Breton Wench says:

And can I add, before people shout “Of course that is something you should not attempt on your own!” – you would be amazed at the number of people who DO!
    Get some advice before you start that chainsaw – advice is FREE!
    I do not know if it is normal in the States, but DH frequently gives advice to home owners on how to do small branch removal themselves. It cuts out small non profit jobs on his work – and gives them some extra gardening skills!