Nobody Cares (Except You)

One of the biggest (and hardest) financial lessons that many people have to learn is simply this: No one cares about your finances, except you. Your mother might have tried to tell you something similar when she refused to buy those designer clothes you wanted. She probably told you that it didn’t matter what brand you wore because no one was really paying attention to you. At thirteen you didn’t believe her. You just knew that everyone was looking at you and that they cared deeply whether or not you were wearing the latest trends. Newsflash: Even then, no one cared. Oh sure, they might have made fun of your store brand clothes, but that’s not caring. That’s abuse. Pe

This entry was posted in Personal Finance, Relationships, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Nobody Cares (Except You)

1. Thriftysahm83 says:

I wish someone had told me that 5-10 years ago. Although I am not sure I would have listened at the time. Great article!

2. larabelle says:

Really good article.
    I have to keep reminding myself of this.
    Thanks!!

3. Ryan says:

This is great advice. Until you are ready to do it and make the change in your spirit and spending habits, you will not win with money. A financial advisor can sell you all the “products” to try to make you wealthy but unless you make that commitment it will not work.

4. Jade says:

Superb article! It sounds a little harsh but it’s oh-so-true – just hard to remember sometimes.

5. david stuart says:

first time ever-went to bank for financial advice

all the guy did was try to sell me banks products

was quite shocked/took me a week to re-adjust my thoughts.

changed my banking to on-line/avoiding ever going o/d again.

6. Nate says:

Wow, that was harsh! But absolutely 100% on the money! Everyone excepts a hand out these days, but no one takes responsibility for themselves and makes things actually happen. Thanks for sharing this article with us. I plan on passing this along to a few people I know could use it!

7. Marc says:

Sound advise! Seems obvious enough, yet it is all too easy to be influenced into purchases that we may have otherwise done without or put off until we had the means. As an example, I recently purchased a new car despite having bad credit. I was one of the only ones at work that didn’t have a car and instead took a bus to get there. Over time I found myself wanting a car quite badly, likely infuenced by feelings of being the odd one out along with the occasional “Why don’t you just get a car” comment. In no time I found myself with a car that I could barely afford partly due to the high interest loan.
    It is an “econo” model but brand new nonetheless. I am upset at myself for making such a financial blunder.
    Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy the convenience of my car and would have probably ended up purchasing one eventually once my credit returned to normal.. just not now.
    Believe me, at this point, if I could go back to taking the bus and having the extra 500.00 to put towards rebuilding my future.. I certainly would.

8. Chris says:

Great article. I used to be that way when I was younger but am the opposite of that now. Thank goodness!

9. Gail says:

I think that is why I have not had as much trouble living a more frugal lifestyle, I never cared what people thought. Even as a teen, rather than wanting to do the ‘in’ things, I wanted to be my own person and the group I hung out with was much the same way. Kids today barely have a chance unless they have a very strong personality to resist the temptations and desires for the in clothes, cell phones and other gadgets apparently vitally necessary to be a teenager in the US.

Our financial wellbeing is our problem and we need to be the ones seeking solutions not waiting for someone else to solve the problems and most of all not waiting for our very in debt government to solve our financial problems–really, how can we depend on a government that can’t control it’s own spending to help us control ours?