A Vacation May Be More Affordable Than You Think

I was recently helping a friend with her family’s vacation planning. They desperately wanted to go to Disney World, but felt like they couldn’t afford it.

“It’s just so much more expensive than other places,” she said.

I asked her what they were going to do instead.

“Well, we’ll probably go to Cedar Point, instead. It’s cheaper.”

“Are you sure?” I asked, already knowing that she was wrong.

“Pretty sure,” she hedged.

I sat her down and we started running some numbers. She could go to Disney World in value season for five days for about $2,500 for her family of four, including airfare. This included park tickets, a r

This entry was posted in Holidays, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Travel and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to A Vacation May Be More Affordable Than You Think

1. miclason says:

we latins go “VFR” …Visiting Friends and Relatives (believe it or not, that is an actual passenger classification when certain airlines do their market segmentation research!)

2. snshijuptr says:

It’s not just a Latin thing. I’m VFR during our trip to San Fran. We don’t have to pay for hotels and can stay equal distance between San Fran & Napa. Plus we drive the Golden Gate Bridge for a reason and not because it’s “what’s done”.

3. Isabelle says:

Holidays in France don’t have to be expensive. We regularly spend time there, it is certainly cheaper than a holiday in the UK when comparing like for like. In France the places to look for are gites.

Public transport in France is very good and also is cheap. Staying outside a city with good rail links will save a fortune.

We stay in self catering accommodation. We find restaurants the locals use and buying food for picnics from supermarkets is good and cheap. The French like to buy ready prepared food and demand high standards.

4. Chris says:

I went to Anguilla, a tropical island in the Caribbean. There are some very posh hotels there that have unbelievably high rates. With a little bit of searching around and planning you trip around their down season, I found a hotel that was fairly reasonable.

When we got there we tried to find restaurants that were off of the beaten path which also saved a lot and we found some great places.

We could have gone to Cancun for a little bit less but for a minimal amount more we were able to go to a place the was quite and unique.

5. Bindu says:

This is a wonderful article. So before planning a vacation, I have some things to consider. Good advice. Thanks.

6. Lyn says:

We always self-cater! We have been to England, Scotland, Belgium, Italy, China, Germany, Greece, and France over the past 10 years because we travel very frugally. I pack staples like rice, spices, dehydrated soup, etc. We just came back from Greece. The first day I went to the neighborhood street market, bought a ton of fruits and vegs, nuts, olives, bread, cheese, and fortunately a huge bag of frozen shrimp and a bag of frozen chicken legs. I made a big pot of soup first thing. I know most people say, “I don’t want to cook while on vacation” or “I want to eat only the local food”. I am eating the local food and a few meals at our own kitchen table could tip the balance of whether or not we can afford to go. Our rental house cost 75 Euros/night. I doubt you could find a hotel room for that price. My groceries came to roughly 40 Euros. An average lunch costs 20 Euros per person. Supper is more. I made several days worth of meals. We had a blast! Yes, we still ate a couple meals in restaurants and we stopped for the little phyllo dough meat filled snacks. We didn’t break the bank.

7. Jill says:

I think when we plan vacations we always look at the bottom line number and not break things down. Also, if we became more proactive by setting aside vacation money, then one could use that to contribute plus whatever they decide to spend. Interesting points that I think surprised many readers including myself.