Save for Christmas Now

Now that the kids are in school and the back to school shopping is done, it’s time to think about the next big spending event: Christmas. Christmas is a little less than four months away. It’s time to take action now so that you have the money you need for Christmas shopping. It’s also time to start thinking about what you want to give people so you can start looking for early sales. Here are some ideas to get you started amassing some Christmas money and saving on what you need to buy.

Have a yard sale: Take advantage of the good fall weather to have a yard sale. The money you make can go into your Christmas fund. Another plus: You’ll clear out old toys and junk to m

This entry was posted in Budgeting, Holidays, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Save for Christmas Now

1. trent says:

My observation has been that there is often a gap in some people

2. Matt says:

My wife and I have a “Christmas Gifts” envelope that we start stuffing around mid-january. Go team.

3. Jan says:

I save for Christmas and birthdays- together- all year long. It is part of the budget. I would rather pay it ahead than end up paying it off in credit cards. Since we travel to see our children- that part of the budget is rather large.

4. Aleta says:

We save from Jan to June for Xmas. Since we already have the money saved in a money market, we can charge it and pay it at the end of the month with our credit card. Saving ahead is the only way to keep your head above water.

5. Sandy says:

Start shopping for Christmas and don’t forget to shop through cash back portals like Ebates, Bing and FatWallet.

6. Gail says:

I still have an aold fashioned Christmas Club at our bank where $10 a month gets automatically deposited. When an unexpected large amount came into our lives in the spring, I figured where money needed to go for the rest of the year and budgeted part of it towards Christmas and deposited it into the Christmas Club. In October I will get the check and can spend as desired. I also cash in all credit card reward points in October and use those towards Christmas too (one Christmas that was all I had for Christmas was gift cards from the cc). My son and his gf are saving towards a wedding and have agreed that what I would spend on Christmas for them will go into their wedding account. In the meantime I have been sewing small projects for stocking stuffers, etc.

I can never understand how people can hit December and be surprised that Christmas is here. When doesn’t it land on Dec. 25? If you don’t have money available for Christmas, don’t go into debt to pretend that you do. Make do or do without. We never spend more than a couple hundred usually and that is what my family is used to so that helps.