Why I Use Coupons

Yesterday I went grocery shopping. When the woman in line behind me noticed my stack of coupons, she jokingly suggested to her husband that they might want to move to a different line. I laughed and exchanged pleasantries with the couple while the cashier rang up my purchases. When everything had been rung up, my coupons had been scanned, my UPromise card scanned and my credit card scanned, the cashier told me that I had saved over $100.

The woman in line behind me was astounded. She asked me whether I saved that much money every time I shopped. I replied that I probably save more than that each week because I shop multiple times in order to take advantage of the savings at various st

This entry was posted in Food / Groceries, Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Why I Use Coupons

1. Sam says:

Coupons usually are for brand-name products. So your savings, while impressive, are less impressive when compared to the price of store-brand equivalents (or near-equivalents).

2. Spokane Al says:

Congratulations on your success with coupons. We use our share of coupons as well but will never reach the level of success that you achieve. We find that, while there are large numbers of coupons worth using, many, many of available food-related coupons are for less than nutritious and junk foods. The nutritious foods on the outer supermarket aisles, where we attempt to do most of our shopping, seem to provide much less coupon savings opportunities.

3. Aleta says:

Congratulations! I save alot as well. I buy items on sale, stack up on them and use the coupons. Often, the cashiers are amazed. Even if you don’t buy a lot of the food items, there are alot of nonfood that you can buy. I also save sales tax on those sale items as well.

4. WSB says:

Coupons can make a huge difference when you

5. Michigan reader says:

I cannot figure out how folks save such large amounts using coupons. I do use coupons but have never came near that much in one shopping trip. I only purchase name brand products when they are on sale and I have coupon. So far in past two weeks I have save $39.00 using coupons, I feel good about that! I guess I am not saving larger with coupons is because I do most of my shopping at Aldi’s and only use coupons at other stores. Aldi’s saves 40% to 60% on their store brand items. I do check the weekly ads for the two local chain grocery stores close to me each week then find coupons for the deals on items I will need and use. But even with name brand items if I can get it cheaper at Aldi’s then I buy it there. Recently a chain store issued a $1.00 off coupon for Delmonte canned fruits and vegetables. I was required to buy 8 cans, the store had a sale of $10.00 for 10 cans of DelMonte foods, but even with the sale and the coupon I could still buy 8 cans of fruits and veggies at Aldi’s and come out $3.00 ahead. Of course Aldi’s does not carry everything I need so I must shop for a few items at other stores. Their stores are small and have limit items, but the savings are great enough to make it worth my while to shop there.

6. Chris says:

I save by shopping the food ads every week and buying the items that are on sale. I should use coupon but I don’t. I think that it takes a lot of time to find the coupons that would apply to me and then find the items in the store. That is my excuse anyway.

Shop and save in my area has $10 off for every $50 your spend every now and then. I love that one!!