Save Money When Buying Souvenirs for Classmates, Friends and Co-Workers

A lot of times when you go shopping on vacation, it isn’t only those on the trip with you that you’re shopping for. You’ll probably want to get something for your friends, classmates, and family members who are back home. But how do you shop for other people plus yourself without breaking the bank? There are lots of fun and inexpensive souvenirs available that make great gifts.

Buying for your child’s classmates is probably the most expensive venture when shopping for others. With grownups you can get away with buying just for those with whom you are good friends. But in most cases with school groups if you buy something for one classmate, you should buy something for

This entry was posted in Frugal, Holidays, Personal Finance, Relationships, Shopping, Travel and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Save Money When Buying Souvenirs for Classmates, Friends and Co-Workers

1. Jaime says:

You know, I’ve never really understood the idea of bringing home souvenirs for people who didn’t go to the destination with you. The whole point of a souvenir for me is to remember a great trip, so if you didn’t go on the trip, what’s the point? If you have a child who is going to talk about the trip as part of a “what did you do this summer?” or show and tell, then I can see maybe buying something to show or share with the class. But for adults, not so much.

Now, when I went to Italy, I bought some glass for one of my bestfriends and my mom when I was in Venice and I bought some jewelry for my grandmothers in Florence and Rome. Those were more in the way of shopping requests than souvenirs of my trip. And, I succumbed to the keychains for some friends at work. I was struggling though to find something cheap enough to afford multiples of and that wasn’t totally cheap and embarrassing to hand out. Overall, hated giving those keychains out. They were good keychains as keychains go, but they just weren’t really meaningful – to them or me.

2. snshijuptr says:

The only people I think it appropriate to give souvenirs to are either children left behind at home or people who helped you with the trip (watching the house/pets/children, rides to airport, etc). Everyone else shouldn’t expect something after you take a trip.

3. Joan.of.the.Arch says:

This article strikes me as a bit odd. Do a lot of people really buy souvenirs for so many other people? For your children’s classmates? For co-workers? That seems over the top. Save even more money by not buying a lot of junk for a lot of people, no matter how modest you may think the souvenirs are compared to what you could have bought.

4. JP says:

One should not waste your money on souvenirs for things that people usually do not want. When buying souvenirs I always consider what the person might need.

5. My Experience says:

I worked as a Purchaser for a major souvenir/gift shop at the Grand Canyon National Park for 15 years.
    EVERYTHING and I do mean EVERYTHING is straight out of Japan with the exception of the Native American handcrafts.
    It was nothing but JUNK! Many of the items arrived damaged because it was so cheaply made.
    I noticed when visiting other places such as major amusement parks, zoos, and especially other national parks, that they all order the same merchandise!
    SAVE YOUR HARD-EARNED MONEY! If you want a souvenir, to take home or to give to another, TAKE PHOTOGRAPHS!

6. Deb says:

Before we went to Disney World with our children I purchased Disney items at a dollar store. A few times that week I gave the kids their souvenirs which were actually brought from home. We didn’t purchase anything in the expensive gift shops.

7. Sam says:

This is so true… get something that the person will want, not something they will throw away, that is just a waste of money.