Stop Buying Bags: Strange Ways to Save

Plastic bags of all descriptions make up more of our budgets than we would like. Sandwich bags, storage bags, trash bags, and yard waste bags all contribute to our monthly spending. However, I have a friend who claims to have spent nothing on storage or trash bags for over two years. How does she do it? She substitutes other, “free” bags in place of the ones you buy. There are lots of sources for “free” bags.

• Cereal/snack liner bags: My friend uses the waxy bags found in cereal and snack boxes in place of storage bags. All she needs is a twist tie or clip to seal them and keep the freshness in. She’s also been known to cut open these types of bags and use them

This entry was posted in Food / Groceries, Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Stop Buying Bags: Strange Ways to Save

1. Joan says:

Why does she think she cannot wash out bags sufficiently when raw meat has been in them? Does she also throw away the knives and cutting boards used for meat?

2. I don’t reuse that many plastic bags, but I also don’t buy many. Plastic containers are easier to wash and dry, and hold food just fine. For many short term storage (say covering a batch of muffins, a pretty cloth napkin does a better job)

The only bag we reuse is a double bread bag. It is the perfect size to fit a days worth of clothes when camping, keeps the clothes dry and gives you a place to put the old ones.

3. Kacy says:

Large pet food bags make excellent trash bags. They also make washable lined cloth sandwich baggies that are cheaper than the numerous plastic baggies that they replace.

4. Where I live, many stores now charge 5c for bags, so I only use them now as garbage bag replacements. Ziplock bags and such are easily reused, but I also wouldn’t reuse a plastic bag that’s had raw meat in it, except for garbage or recycling.

5. Grover says:

I agree with Kacy above…. and so do the large kitty litter bags, Kacy.
    My Wal*Mart now offers in their produce department the ‘green bags’ that are supposedly made to extend the life of your fruits & vegetables. They are FREE!
    Isn’t that superific?!?!?! :)

6. Ellae says:

I wouldn’t consider using the bag the paper comes in unless I were storing a non-food item. Most of the time that bag is dir-TY! Also, I just use Couponing to get free or nearly free Ziploc bags and I’m okay with that.

7. Norma G says:

Thanks for the advice. I was about to start buying these again. I’ll think about it. I had been using the generic brand plastic wrap. As good as the brand.

8. creativegeek23 says:

this may be a bit over the top for me