Becoming Ad-Averse

One thing that has saved me a ton of money over the years is the fact that I am very ad-averse. Not only do I try to keep as much advertising as possible out of my life, when I do see an ad I don’t buy into the sales pitch. Advertising seems to have the opposite of the intended effect on me. Rather than being attracted to advertised products, I find myself repulsed by many of them. It saves a lot of money when I see something advertised on TV and think, “That ad is so stupid, there’s no way I’m buying that thing.”

Part of this comes from the way I was raised, I think. I can remember my father griping at ads and always talking about how worthless all of the crap

This entry was posted in Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Becoming Ad-Averse

1. T says:

I tend to agree with your attitude toward ads, and it sure seems that most advice on how to save money (be it from whomever) tends to include similar advice on avoiding ads.

Which, of course, made the title to this post all the more surreal. This post is all about why you should go out of your way to pay attention to ads. http://www.savingadvice.com/articles/2010/06/13/106153_store-advertisements.html

It’s interesting to read how you two differ so much on your advice.

2. Danielnorth01 says:

3. kt says:

i am not averted to ads, i can just control myself and get things that i need or will have a direct benefit to me; i only buy things that will not breed buyers remorse after some time. Financial discipline is very important. I hope my readers do not read this post because i want them to buy things on my site :)

4. Larabelle says:

Yes I view ads as an imposition and that is the reason why I gave away my television. I got sick of so many advertisements between the television programs. I find myself so much less susceptable to purchasing unneeded items now that I do not see the advertisements.

5. @Larabelle You gave away your TV because you got sick of the ads? That reminds me of the time I amputated my hand because I hated the way my thumbnail looked.

Yes, I’m skeptical of your claim. Besides, did you not know that TVs show ads before you bought one?

6. Chris says:

I really don’t like all of the ads on TV! During a three hour baseball game you have to watch about an hour worth of ads. For that reason I will sometimes use a DVR to record a program so that I can fast forward through the ads.

I really just take ads with a grain of salt. I purchase things that I want or need based on my wants or needs and not based on ads. I guess I am already ad-averse.

7. Gail says:

We haven’t had a TV connected to an antennae or cable for almost 6 years now I think. When I am exposed to TV ads (and soap operas) at places like the doctor’s all I can think is what a stupid commercial and what a stupid show! I do see and read a lot of magazines and many times find myself finding the ‘lie’ in the ad or the thing that they left out which would make their item be not so wonderful after all. So many ads are very deceptive.