Everyday Common Sense & Patience Will Save Money

Sometimes, common sense escapes even the most intelligent of people. We all make fundamental assumptions. Drawers should slide open and slide closed. Doors should behave in a similar fashion. When they do not, something very primitive and entirely irrational possesses all too many of us. We devolve to the level of the beasts and try to use brute force to close the uncooperative drawer or door.

Taking a step back, we would realize that something might be blocking the kitchen drawer or the door to the garage. Rational minds would then move to clear the obstruction. I have finally learned that, but only after a number of less than wonderful moments in which brute force resulted in something

This entry was posted in Frugal, Housing, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Everyday Common Sense & Patience Will Save Money

1. Ann says:

My big one is that, if that little voice tells you in the back of your head that something is probably not a good idea, don’t do it! Learned this one the hard way, when I didn’t and lost most of 3 fingers in my jointer — thank goodness it was my left hand and I’m right-handed and my thumb and forefinger weren’t affected! This holds true for working with tools or walking to your car alone late at night in a dark parking lot.

Another one is to always do your safety stuff (like goggles or gloves or hearing protection or safety apron, etc.) even when you’re just going to do “one little thing.” I’ve sliced myself but good more than once when I didn’t put on my kevlar glove and I can’t even count the times that something has flown up and hit my goggles… which don’t cost a lot to get with a prescription, btw, if you wear glasses.

The final thing is, if you have any kind of physical limitations or it’s just very hot or very cold out, force yourself to only work for 1/2 to 1 hour (or whatever), take a break, re-evaluate the situation at the end of the break and go back and do more or stop, if that little voice is telling you to.

2. Common Sense? says:

I dunno, am I missing something here? Has this article anything at all to do with savings advice?
    I’m not trying to be a Wisenheimer, I am truly at a lost. Please help.
    Apparently common sense is not all that common! :)

3. Hello Common Sense ~ The connection is very basic . . . if you don’t use common sense, things will break and that will cost you money.

Thanks for commenting!

4. Chris says:

Those with commonsense will just naturally be careful in all situations hopefully so that they don’t make the wrong move. One of the things that I have found it that haste makes waste.

The other day, for instance, I jumped into my vehicle and was in a hurry to get somewhere. I started my truck pushed the garage door button and backed up. The problem is, I didn’t wait for the garage door to go up. I not only bent the heck out of my garage door but also scratched my tailgate in two places.

5. Valentino Buoro says:

The author of this article is right. We all do these things unconsciously. All we appear to want is our way. I think the morale of this write up is for everyone to think through what we do and find a realistic or practical solution when we come across challenges. Bulldozing our way through may often create unintended outcomes.Even in money matters it pays to think even for a second before you commit money to any purchase or any use whatsoever

6. Gail says:

Don’t ignore unusual sounds when walking. When it is your knee or hip making that awful clicking sound it would be a good idea to see an orthopedic surgeon!

When a salesman gives you the creeps or the feeling that something isn’t right, go with your gut and say NO. My hubby is amazed at my intuition in these matters and follows my lead now. We had a salesman trying to tell us we needed a particular filter for our well at big bucks. He kept talking himself into a corner with me and I kept saying no. When my husband then researched it on the internet, he found the same solution could be had for much less money. Now when I say NO my husband ends the discussion and escorts the salesman out or we leave. Not sure if that is common sense, but if something doesn’t sound right, back up and research until you know what to do. Rarely is anything such an emergency matter that you have to jump now. Same goes for deals to good to be true that are only good for the day.

7. snafu says:

If it sounds too good to be true, it’s likely a scam. There are so many slick tricks to part you from your money. One ounce of common sense saves tons of aggrevation