Sell Your Stuff, Not Your Trash: Yard Sale Etiquette

I went to a yard sale this weekend that was disappointing, to say the least. Everything on sale was either broken, damaged, dirty, or trash (one half-used crayon, a moldy mattress, a shirt so faded and tattered that it would only suffice for rags, and board games missing most of the pieces and with the decals peeling or missing from the base). I was there right after the sale opened, so I know it wasn’t a case of all the good stuff being snapped up already. Making matters worse: Things were just strewn on tables and tarps on the ground without any sort of organization. Needless to say, this person wasn’t making a lot of money.

If you’re going to have a yard sale, you need t

This entry was posted in Frugal, Making Money, Personal Finance and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Sell Your Stuff, Not Your Trash: Yard Sale Etiquette

1. Patti says:

Please use the same consideration when donating things to a shelter or thrift store.

2. rob62521 says:

I would agree with this article. It seems some folks think their “junk” is so valuable.

3. Put It In The Trash! says:

PUT IT IN THE TRASH.
    PUT IT IN THE TRASH.
    PUT IT IN THE TRASH.
    PUT IT IN THE TRASH.
    PUT IT IN THE TRASH.
    PUT IT IN THE TRASH.

With the landfills already at capacity and more needed everyday, yeah, PUT IT IN THE TRASH….!!

4. CindyM says:

Hadn’t been to many garage sales in years but started doing it again recently. It’s a rare garage sale these days that has anything of real value, in my opinion. I personally wouldn’t bother putting out for sale most of what people today think is valuable, waste of time. What gets me are the folks who won’t even put price tags on their stuff – like you want to bargain with them for their junk.

5. Chris says:

The problem for me is that I don’t want to go through the hassle of having a yard sale so I give a lot of stuff to charity and to people that I know. If I had it all back and could sell it all, I could make a sizable sum of money. So much for that idea….

6. Gail says:

Some Tupperware as long as the bottom is sound can still be sold if you can get the lids replaced and some of the bigger bowls you might use without lids all the time anyhow. I know most TW pieces can get replacement pieces if they aren’t too old.

That being said, you are so right. I have been at some lousy yard sales and wonder why they bother. I do love magazines so if they don’t have enough for a lot of them, throwing the one or two odd magazine in the FREE box that some people have is nice.

Clothes that are ready for the rag bag generally aren’t good for quilters. If the item is 100% wool that is something different and might appeal to someone who wants to make felt for quilting and crafts, but worn out shirts, etc. no way. There is to much great quilting fabric out there already.

Another thing, if you are having a yard sale, don’t be setting up and planning to open after 9AM at the latest. When people see a yard sale sign at 10 in the morning, they expect you to be open by then, not just putting your stuff out. I like to sleep in so that is one of many reasons that I don’t do yard sales anymore.

7. snafu says:

The point of having a yard sale is to find a new home for items you no longer use and love. Keep like stuff together like books, kitchen ware, tableware, holiday decor etc. Price items at 80% less than retail…that’s what you’d pay.

Anyone who sets out broken, worn-out, ready-for-trash, has wasted their time and effort. No one wants junk. Electronic gear can go to a recycler who knows how to dispose of it correctly. Meds can be returned to the pharmacy, batteries & DVDs to Staples type collection depot.

8. Yael Diamond says:

I agree completely – I was also recently at a yard sale and I was amazed at the junk they were trying to sell – nothing had any value and needed to be placed into the trash. People will do anything today to try make a buck

9. Pingback: Yard Sale Should Be The Sale of Last Resort - Saving Advice