Staying Hydrated Without Spending A Fortune

Summer is coming to the Northern hemisphere so, for most of us, we are going to be feeling the heat very soon. If you live in a climate that is already hot, as I do, the heat will be even more intense. No matter where you live, you will need to drink more, and more often, to avoid dehydration. If, like me, you have an aversion to public drinking fountains which, to be blunt, I find really disgusting, you will need to plan ahead if you want to avoid purchasing beverages when you are out and about.

Have you ever noticed the difference in price between a single serving bottle of a beverage and a much larger bottle is not all that great? Indeed, the other day I was in my local grocery store and

This entry was posted in Food / Groceries, Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Staying Hydrated Without Spending A Fortune

1. Ann says:

I have a stainless steel waterbottle in my car that I always make sure is full before I run any errands. When I’ve run out of water, I always have gum in the car, which seems to work a lot like the hard candies. :-)

Also, last fall I went to Las Vegas. I was fascinated and irritated by the fact that there wasn’t one drinking fountain anywhere in the joint and a smallish bottle of water cost $4! I was there for a convention, so I paid for one of those silly bottles and then refilled it periodically from the tap in my room. If I’d driven, I would have headed to a local store and purchased a case of bottled water for what I paid for that one bottle in the casino. ;-)

2. Bben says:

The reason for the no water fountains in a casino is they do not want you to leave that slot machine for anything. That’s why they serve *free* drinks while playing. You still should tip the waitress, so they are not really free. I will go up to the bar, put a $20 into the slot machine built into each seat there, play a quarter and get a free drink (they will serve water there too) then, tip the bartender a $1, cash out and walk away. Where else can you get a mixed drink for $1.25? – I don’t gamble much but I do like to walk through the casinos there.

Note: They didn’t build those casinos with the winners money.

3. CreditShout says:

I’m disappointed that you don’t talk about the most important beverage to drink over the summer–WATER. You make a clear point that caffeine can actually dehydrate you, but all of your points are about soda and tea. There are so many possibilities with water, such as buying a re-usable water bottle and Brita pitcher in order to save money. The most attractive thing to me in the summer is a sweating pitcher of water with a couple slices of lemon in it!

4. enquiries says:

With regards to the your point about making iced tea, your readers might be interested in a report featured on the bbc news website telling us about research which indicates that tea (and coffee) drinkers are likely to be improving their chances of reducing heart disease – tea doesnt surprise me, but coffee?

anyway, here’s the link:

5. Cassie says:

After my morning cup of coffee, I drink water until bedtime. I have 2 stainless water bottles that I fill up from home and take with me to work or errands. If it’s a really hot day, I’ll add ice first. I can always stop somewhere and refill if I need to.

6. Chris says:

I use and reuse my bottled water bottles over and over and over. Where I live the tap water is good. This saves a lot of money. If your tap water is not good, get a filter at the sink.

Walmart has drink mixes that are fairly inexpensive. Some of them are quite “strong” and can be diluted beyond the instructions.

7. Gail says:

I always bring water bottles from home when out and about. We are on a well though and since I’m not sure about the purity of the water in regards to my health, we buy all our drinking water by the gallon. I figure it is cheaper than picking up a germ that my doctors would have a hard time diagnosing and the docs agree with my use of bottled water.

8. Eric says:

Water. Period. If your city’s tap water is any good, then tap water. Aside from utility bills, it’s FREE.