16 Sneaky Ways to Save Money

Some people just hate saving money. It’s either too hard, too painful, or too much like a chore. Some people just can’t seem to find any extra in their budget to save. Whatever the reason you’re avoiding saving, maybe you’d do better if you could trick yourself into saving. The ideas below trick you into saving money. Some take you out of the equation altogether, some make saving into a game, and some are designed to sneak small amounts of money out of your pocket and into savings without you feeling much pain.

Carry only big bills: When you carry only twenties (or bigger bills) in your wallet, it’s usually harder to spend money. Why? Because there’s somet

This entry was posted in Budgeting, Frugal, Saving Money and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to 16 Sneaky Ways to Save Money

1. Stephan says:

I live by your first two tips, and they really do work. I save all my 1 and 5 dollar bills, and i tend to not break 20 dollar bills for small purchases like a daily coffee. At the end of the month i take my savings and place them in my bank. Its worked so far, so definitely keep on spreading this useful tip.

2. snshijuptr says:

By far the best one is automatic savings. I take the difference between my pay and my budget at the end of the month and “zero out” my checking balance sending the money into a savings account. I would add count business expenses as spent money and save the reimbursements. Also these tips work for paying down debt!

3. younglady50 says:

Love the idea of putting the difference you could save when
    reducing an utility bill. I usually just keep the money in my
    checking account. But, this way if I deposit it into a savings, I
    won’t feel it.

4. Gail says:

The problem with some of these ‘tips’ is that when you are really hurting, you need all this money to actually live on so even if you budgeted for a larger utility bill than what you got, having that extra amount ‘leftover’ means it can go towards something else. I do most of my bill paying by mail knowing I would be saving money, but I don’t bank the savings as that is money I budgeted into regular expenses. Just like when we cut out cable–we did it to save money so that we could pay the mortgage and eat. Just because I get some dollar bills in my purse, doesn’t mean I can afford to bank them, they go towards whatever else needs paid off.

That being said, one of the best ways I have found to saving money is cram as much money as possible into the savings account or even better into the ING account. I hate taking money out of savings, so I work at trying to figure out how to pay off the bill that I had set aside the money for into savings, without touching the savings. Even if I have to pull out some of what I had set aside, I always feel better if I get to leave some in the savings account. I have found that having too much money in the checking account is murder on a budget so I transfer money into savings that I might not need for another week or two. I might end up keeping the bank tellers busy, but if the money isn’t in the checking account, I can’t use it spontaneously. There is that quirk in my head that if I have money in the checking account that I can spend it. Much easier on the budget to have it tucked away earining a bit of interest if possible.

5. Teresa says:

Some grocery stores, such as Fred Meyer, have reloadable gift cards. If this is the primary store you shop for groceries, try budgeting your weekly or monthly grocery money on a gift card. When you shop, you only use the card. This will help you to keep within your budget. I know for me, groceries can be the biggest budget breaker. This helps me to stay on track.

6. Dan Mattson says:

Thanks for the great tips. In addition to banking the difference between what you budget and what you spend for certain items, consider “rewarding” yourself occasionally. If you beat the budget by $200 for instance, buy yourself a latte or pizza for a few bucks to keep it positive. Otherwise sticking to a tight budgeting month after month can put you in the doldrums. Doctor Dollar

7. Joanna says:

My fiance and I save all of our 5 dollar bills. We’ve been using them to pay for expenses related to friends weddings. In 1 month, we’ve saved up to $200! I definitely recommend this tip!

8. that one girl says:

this is random but it works.. cut all of your dryer sheets in half when you buy new ones if not you might get to lazy to do it everytime ..using half of a dryer sheet will work the same they just last twice as long :)

9. that one girl says:

take a notepad everywhere you go record what you made and what you spent on what for 30-60 days. look at it after 30 days and you will realize how much junk you bought that wasn’t needed it really makes a difference realizing what that candy bar or “on sale product” really could of made that difference that you neeeded.. i know when you are budgeting and in a rut you have to splurge a little every now and then to stay positive but was that dollar candy bar that was gone in a minute really worth it?
    trust me i learned this tip searching for tips around the internet and it works well

10. Richard says:

I’ve been an attorney working in private bank trust departments for almost 20 years. I’ve seen how people with money acquired it and how they retained it. They are smart enough to know that you can never acquire money by spending it. They would sooner die than go into debt to buy consumer goods. They’ll go into debt but only to purchase property likely to appreciate.

These are the people who, instead of buying iphone after iphone and ipad after ipad, bought the stock of Apple when it was selling for about $7 early in 2003. Today, July 1, 2010, it sells around $260.

People with money don’t care about consumer goods, cars, big-screen TV’s or anything else that the masses “must have”. They know all this stuff is junk and that to buy it simply wastes money better deployed otherwise. In short, people with money got and kept it not by buying things but by buying the stocks of companies that sell things to other people…you for example.

I’ll leave you with this unsettling thought. Suppose you’d had $15,000 in October 1980 and that you’d been of a mind to “invest it”. You might have been lured to purchase jewelry, say a diamond ring, on the utterly untrue but long spread lie that diamonds are rare. Any jewelry store would have been happy to lure you in with a lot of special lighting over plush counters served by shills who are trained in how to try to induce you to put reason on hold and think romantically about how happy you would be if only you had a $15,000 diamond ring. They’d tell you it would be “AN INVESTMENT”. God help you if you fell for the scam. The ring you’d have bought on Friday, October 10th, 1980 for $15,000 would have been worth about $3,000 on Saturday, October 11th if you’d tried to sell it. It might not be worth even that today.

On Friday, October 10th, 1980, stock of Johnson & Johnson traded around $83 per share; you could have bought 180 shares for $15,000. That investment, a REAL INVSTMENT, would today, July 1, 2010, be worth over $500,000. After 48:1 stock splits, you would have over 8,600 shares of Johnson & Johnson paying annual cash dividends of almost $19,000.

You can be young in this country and be without money but this is no country in which to be old and without money. If you have no money you have no power. If you want to end up parking cars for a high school kid who owns a parking lot, keep doing what you’ve been doing. Keep buying “diamond rings”. If you want to have some say about where and how you live and on what terms, leave the consumer good on the shelves and buy the stocks of companies that sell things to other people. Just make sure you’re not the “other person”..

Good luck.

11. midman says:

Great ideas, I enjoyed reading your article and will try to put some of these ideas into use in my life. Thanks for your contribution!