If you spend more than a token amount of time either grocery shopping or cooking, you have probably noticed the Box Tops for Education and Campbell’s Labels for Education labels on certain grocery products. Box Tops for Education is a program sponsored by General Mills and it has returned over $300 million dollars to schools throughout America since its inception in 1996. The Labels for Education program is a similar program launched thirty-seven years ago by the Campbell’s Soup Company.

If you have children, or have had children in the past decade especially, your school has probably asked you to participate in one or both of these programs. The concept is simple. The food c

This entry was posted in Education, Food / Groceries, Personal Finance, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Box Tops For Education: Why You Should Participate (even if you don’t have kids)

1. Annie Jones says:

I do send in Box Tops for Education to Kat’s school. Most seem to be 10

2. NJDebbie says:

I’m a high school teacher and I collect the box tops for the elementary schools in my district. I simply send them to the PTA and they are happy to receive them.

3. jen says:

Everyone benefits from having good schools in their community. Property values increase and kids having after school activities keeps them out of trouble.

4. Joan says:

We are another family who never buys the qualifying products. If we did, you can be sure we’d save the lables.

5. Lisa says:

I donate them and I raid the cabinets of close family members with permission, of course. They roll their eyes but I get about $3 worth per family member and I know alot go to the trash. My dad loves Cheerios for breakfast. Lots of Cheerios in a year.

6. Eleanor says:

I do not have children and I participate in “Box Tops” I live within walking distance of our local elementary school which serves the lesser advantaged children in our neighborhood. (Sadly, our two neighborhood elementary schools are “The Haves” and “The Have Nots.” These children are our tomorrow,and they deserve all of the support the neighborhood can give them.
    One of reasons I shop at our local Publix is because they donate a percentage of proceeds to our areas schools. Thank you, Publix!

7. Renita says:

Great article. Before I started homeschooling, I saved my BTFE’s and LFE’s and sent them to school with a neighbor girl. Now my homeschool association can use BTFE’s to help us pay for field trips and various supplies for co-operative classes. It’s amazing how much those little 10 cent box tops help!! Unfortunately we can’t use the Campbell’s labels, but we make sure and get them to our church for their private school.

There are two others worth mentioning as well. Tyson A+ Labels for Education and Home Team Rewards (from Fast Classics/Fast Fixin’ products). They also provide income for schools that accept them.

8. sewingirl says:

I save the labels and give them to a co-worker who has a child in elementary school. Some churches collect them also, and give them to the local schools.

9. Brad V says:

I wonder if it’s possible to write these off on our annual taxes?

This may seem like a bit of a selfish question but ultimately most people are concerned with enriching their own lives in ways that impact them more directly than the roundabout increase in property values resulting from better schools in their districts.

I guess my point is – if BTFE’s were tax deductible then it would almost certainly result in increased participation in the program.

10. Jen says:

I am the Box Tops Coordinator for our small public elementary school. The funds go into the Parent Faculty Association budget, and are used for many wonderful programs which enhance the children’s educational experience, such as field trips to a science center. If anyone would care to send Box Tops through the mail to me, please do so. They will be very much appreciated!!!

Peter Schultz