Make Money by Recycling

Recycling can be good for both the planet and your wallet. You won’t get rich recycling, but you can earn a little extra cash and keep a lot of waste out of the landfill. So just how do you make money recycling? Simple. Every time you are about to toss an item (even if it’s not a conventional recyclable), stop and ask yourself if there is a way to monetize that item. Recycling is becoming a big bucks industry and there are more and more businesses willing to pay you for your old stuff. Having trouble getting started? Here are some ideas.

Ink cartridges: Staples and OfficeMax both offer store credits when you bring in old ink and toner cartridges for recycling. You have to join th

This entry was posted in Frugal, Making Money, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Make Money by Recycling

1. I’d like to get my son interested in recycling pop cans. He’s only 9, but he’s very into the environment, and he can make a small profit to boot!

Thanks for the great topics for recycling! I didn’t know that about computers and computer stores!

2. Stephan says:

As i have way more stuff than i use, i have started to go through my own belongings and looking at things i dont need. Honestly, it has become so much easier to get rid of old things and still make a buck on them. I have used craigslist many times to make some extra cash on items i would have thrown away anyways.
    great post, and I feel exactly like you do. I hate shopping, its always a hassle and only got worse recently when i bought my first car. Too be honest, I dont really buy anything for myself anymore, but i do treat myself to getaways and vacations. Since i entered college i realized that i had enough items and wanted to enjoy life more, and the best way to do this is vacations. So now i spend my hard earned money that is leftover after expenses and savings on vacations and not the newest toy.

3. ThriftoRama says:

I learned to recycle recycling pop cans for cash as a kid. I still recycle, so the lesson stuck. I will do the same for my sons. I pay for curbside pick up, but newspaper and cans go into separate containers. We recycle the cans for cash and we donate the paper to a church, which uses it to fund summer basketball camps. I think your recyclables need to go where they can do the most good.

4. snshijuptr says:

We walk our recyclables to our grocery down the street. Our friends come over for game night every Thursday and drink a bunch of soda cans and beer bottles. Since we always host they bring the drinks. I then collect the cans and recycle them. I can get about $2 every 2 weeks. I treat the money like a coupon when we check out.

5. Forest says:

I really don’t think people take enough advantage of the tax write offs that can get from donating… Goodwill take almost anything and give you a fair write off for your stuff.

6. Gail says:

Recycling in a big way can really save you lots of cash. My husband built our house. The actual cash outlay was about what you would expect for a 1000 sq ft ranch style house, only ours is about 3000 sq ft 2 story. Much of our building supplies were recyled items and some with deep memories. Marble from the school that he and my sons went to before it was torn down. decorative molding from old pianos, doors from our church when it remodeled and the list can go on. We have a very unique house that is worth about 5 times what we paid for it because he recyled and put sweat equity into it.

When thinking of recycling think big!

7. laura says:

does anyone know where to bring beer bottles to be recycled in Tennessee?

8. sarahjdejong says:

In Michigan pop cans have the 10c deposit so taking them back can be very lucrative. I give my cans to my little brother so he can use them for gas money or groceries. When I lived in California the local community college had a drop off location where you could either donate your recyclables or receive cash for those with a monetary value. In Tennessee I would suggest contacting the local colleges to see if they have a collection center.