Are You Wasting Time In Bed?

I don’t need a lot of sleep. That does not surprise me because my father does not need a lot of sleep either. Usually about 5.5 hours is enough for me. If I go to sleep at midnight or 1am, I am usually wide awake at 6 or 6:30am and I start my day with everyone else. If I fall asleep at 10pm, however, I usually find myself wide awake before 4am, staring at the ceiling.

That,s when I start my day ahead of everyone else.

If you are a heavy sleeper and you know you need 8 or 9 hours of sleep per night, you can move on. You won’t get a lot out of this column. On the other hand, if you are tossing and turning in the wee small hours of the morning, or you find yourself channel sur

This entry was posted in Personal Finance, Work and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Are You Wasting Time In Bed?

1. It’s not about the amount of time you put it. It’s about productivity…

If I can get a full nights sleep and as a result be more productive then that is where I think the value in a good sleep is.

If I can put in half the hours and get twice as much done then I think that makes much more sense. I did this all throughout college and it worked out nicely.

Anyways, that’s just my thinking.

Cheers!

Brandon

2. Stephan says:

great post, and i wish i was a person that didnt need 8-10 hours of sleep a night to not feel exhausted. I would love to go to the gym before work, but I just cant get myself out of bed because i am so tired. i am hoping that the older i get, the less sleep i will need. wish me luck!

3. snshijuptr says:

I’m with Stephan. Bring on the less sleep needs. My grad advisors joke that grad students don’t need sleep and I just stare at them. I’m always exhausted at the end of the day and need my 9 hours of sleep.

4. Stacy says:

sometimes i find myself being unproductive and off tasking at work to the point where now I have a to-do list printed in my cubicle.

5. Mike says:

This is excellent advise for a guy like me. I have not been able to get more than four or five hours of sleep in a good number of years. Like you, I just get up and catch up on my correspondence, or reading or something. I know that we spend way too much time in bed in this country. More people should learn to live with less sleep, if possible.

6. Lee says:

I am in my 50s and had a heart attack in my 40s. Before then, I could get on with only 4-6 hour sleep per day. Now, I require more

7. Larabelle says:

I would love to be able to live on less sleep, however that is not the case. I need at least 8.5 to 9 hours each night in order to be productive during the day.

8. John says:

I definitely need 8 hours or else I’ll be tired. I love sleeping!

9. cschin4 says:

Some people are “high energy” and simply don’t need a lot of sleep. I have a very successful friend who is like that and that is just her nature. I wish I was like her but I am not. And, I don’t want to go nonstop 24/7.

10. Gail says:

I can get by on a good solid 6 hours a night, but I also need at least one nap a day and even more when my arthritis is really acting up–one of the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis besides the pain is fatigue! The hard part is I live with a hubby that needs around 10 hours of sleep a night. Since he is self employed at home and I’m on disablity we have worked it out to our satisfaction. I get about 4 hours every morning when I can do my own thing. I haven’t set an alarm clock in 8 years and I think that is so much more healthy to wake up and get up when you are done sleeping than having a a mechanical device decide for you that it is morning.