The Shopping List: A Simple Way to Save Money and Time

A shopping list sounds like such a simple thing to do, but how many times have you arrived at the store with no list and no idea what you really need? It leads to frustration and overspending, doesn’t it? I hear you now: “A list takes too long to get together. When I need to go to the store, I don’t have time to rummage through everything and make a list. I’ll know what I need when I see it in the store.”

The thing is, most of us rarely remember everything we need when we’re in the store. We get in a hurry, it’s crowded, we get distracted by a pretty display, or we’re just too tired to care. So we sling some things in the cart and hope for the

This entry was posted in Food / Groceries, Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to The Shopping List: A Simple Way to Save Money and Time

1. Lori says:

I’m already a list person, but I’ve never thought to keep separate lists for different stores. Thank you for the great tip!

2. Rosemary Sanders says:

Keeping a shopping list is vital to having an organized shopping day. I use one of the free printable lists available on line. As an alternative to separate lists, I make a notation what store carries the item needed; i.e. paper napkins-Walmart.
    It also saves on gas to combine trips with picking up library items or from the cleaners. Good article!

3. Snowy Heron says:

Trent over at the Simple Dollar talked about how he was trying to get his wife to use a shopping list when had grocery shopping to do, and boy did a lot of people blast him for that! But I think he is on the right track, for all the reasons you give. If you are organized that way, it takes less time, you are less likely to forget things and you don’t end up making a bunch of trips to the grocery store and end up spending more than you would on just one trip. I still do, on occasion, forget an item. But overall, using an organized list is the absolute best way to do your shopping.

4. Dee says:

Taking time to plan your list and getting your coupons together does take time but it worth the effort.

I like your idea of the different lists. I have one sheet of paper on the inside of my kitchen cabinet but I never thought to have different lists. That’s a great tip.

When I make a list, I don’t spend as much.

5. Brian says:

I am a TOTAL list person. I even make my list in accordance to the shopping items in the store so I can move down the isles in order. This really helps when bringing along small children. Great article!

6. Isabelle says:

Keep a pad in the kitchen and write what you need when you notice, when you decide what you’re going to cook and prepare lunches. Makes it much easier.

Different pages for different shops!

7. shopmeister says:

When I write out my list I write the sale price next to the item to insure I buy the correct product. Also, if I’m shopping at a store that price matches (Walmart, Target, Best Buy) I list the competitor’s name next to the item so I can retrieve the ad faster. Price matching saves time and money because I only have to go to one store instead of several.

8. Gail says:

I keep a notebook with scrap paper (leftovers from printing) in my kitchen and add to my grocery list every time I open the last bottle or can of something or second to last depending on how often I use the item. I also note on the same list other errands that will need to be run on grocery day so I can plan my route and do everything all at once. Since my son goes with on his day off from work, I try to pick up as much as I can so I don’t have to go out in the weeks he can’t help. It is great to have a strong helper!