Good Reasons To Spend Money

There are a lot of reasons to spend money and each of us has his or her own. Our attitudes and perspectives are forged over lifetimes spent earning and spending and enjoying and regretting. I can look at any number of purchases and feel that I have made a good buying decision. I can look at a similar number and know that I made a mistake. Fortunately, the older I get, the greater the number of good decisions so I hope I am on the right track.

This past week, for example, I bought a gravity tea pot and a pound of loose leaf tea from an out of state vendor. For the past forty-plus years, I have been a tea drinker, but the tea was always delivered in a tea bag. Although I enjoyed it, I no

This entry was posted in Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Good Reasons To Spend Money

1. Annie Jones says:

What good is being frugal if you can’t splurge on something once in a while? Responsibly, of course.

2. snshijuptr says:

I think of these less as “not being lazy” but instead as an investment in savings. I would focus on the purchase of the teapot and tea, not the purchase of the tea from the bakery. It puts a more positive spin on the situation.

3. Annie ~ I agree completely!

By the way, I was sorry to read of your recent car accident in your blog! I hope you still reported the incident to the local police, just in case any damage later comes to light!

4. Ann says:

This spring is going to be a rather costly one for me, but well worth it!

Replacing the livingroom windows will save on heating and aggravation, upgrading the electric in the kitchen and livingroom is simply a wise thing to do (only grounded outlets in the place are the electric I had installed for the computer, the garage and my workshop), hiring a contractor to do inside and outside painting saves me time and a lot of pain, hiring the landscaper to get rid of the grass in the back (it’s a long, narrow yard) will save me work (and pain lol), and getting the bagger attachment for my John Deere will save me a lot of time and work… and pain!

I’m lucky to have nearly everything I want, but finding a new tool to make a task easier is exciting! Buying inventory, in the form of wood and stone, is inspiring… even if I probably already have enough to last me for a looooonnnngg time. :-)

I tend to think twice before buying something. Now that I think about it, one of my main criteria is “will it bring a smile to my face a month or two or three from now?” If it won’t, I probably don’t need it!

5. I think a lot of people are afraid to tackle about the reasons why they spend money. It

6. Forest says:

I think it’s worth spending a little extra for more enjoyment… At least you are getting your tea fix without the big cost….

I find I like to eat at local reaturants a few times a month. I don’t have to do it but it brings me pleasure and I enjoy the owners.

7. great advice! making tea at home is a great way to save and be healthy at the same time. looking forward to reading future posts.

8. oldfriend says:

Hi David, I am in Beijing now – on an owl shift. I am catching up on your column. The tea is excellent here and cheaper than water. In fact they give it you free everywhere you go. Fifteen cups a day! No wonder you write so much.
    ??????

9. Gail says:

I love it. I did this last week. After last year being grueling physically where I could barely eat, I discovered that I could tolerate Dove Ice cream bars. Not the cheapest treat but sometimes the only thing I could get down. I’m feeling better now and still enjoy this treat. I had coupons last week and so was going to buy two packages at the store. Then saw that one kind was being discontinued and the price was way lower than the others. So I put two boxes in my cart to go with my 2 coupons and then realized why not buy the other 2 boxes still on the shelf as they were still cheaper that what I usually paid so I grabbed them too. Ended up with 4 boxes of fairly cheap treats and when my flare up fix last week they were so good at taking my mind off the pain. Guilt free! It was a good reason to spend money.

I’m glad you got your tea fix. If you are going to drink something like that, finding the best cheapest way to make it at home/work will save lots in the long run.