Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University: Week 2

This is a series of posts about what you will find in Dave Ramsey’s Financial Peace University course. This is week two (week one)

This week’s lesson is about money and relationships. I was excited about this week because relationships are something that everyone has to deal with, no matter how much money they do or don’t have. I was interested to see what advice Dave would give to deal with those times when money strains relationships. Money fights are probably more common when a family is struggling, but everyone fights about money from time to time, even those who have plenty of money. Some couples are complete opposites and one is a saver and one’s a spender. Othe

This entry was posted in Budgeting, Debt, Personal Finance, Relationships, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University: Week 2

1. Laima1 says:

Interesting to read you reports. Pride is likely one of things that gets people most in debt- living up to the proverbial Jones when you don’t really know anything of their behind the scenes life is brewing trouble.

2. Annie Jones says:

I feel so fortunate that my husband and I don’t fight about money (really, we rarely have strong disagreements about anything). Communications is key. We’ve been married 10 years and have discussed our finances from Day One. We occasionally disagree about what we’re going to do with our money initially, but have always been able to talk it through and come to an agreement before we do anything with it.

3. Brent says:

your week two sounded much like mine this week. I agree with you that his pitching of his other stuff is a little much. I definitely do not want to buy his other products and could do without all the extra ads. I had a small group that was a little less talkative this week and i could tell both men in the other two couples had been dragged to the class and didn’t really want to be there. makes for a less satisfying small group when hardly anyone wants to talk or can’t get into it. I’m still looking forward to the next class as I am getting out of debt myself. My wife an I finished our emergency fund by selling stuff on craigslist and we are the only ones in the class to have even come close We’ve also paid off two hefty CC with our tax refund and working on the last one before student loans. Should be a good class this week tho. I have found that since starting dave ramsey’s program my wife and i have had less money fights as well and we communicate much better which has made our home much better overall. I can thank dave for spurring that communication.

4. Dustin says:

I think this is my favorite FPU lesson. I think there is a lot of humor it it. It was the first CD I convinced my wife to listen to me with and finally got her on board!

5. Melanie says:

As far as finances are concerned, I am the nerd and my sweetheart is the free spirit. Which is interesting because with life in general we would both be categorized the other way around.

I agree with your take on Dave Ramsey so far. Can anyone suggest a class like this that I could attend with my sweetheart with fewer religious and marketing messages?

6. disciplinenow says:

I must say I do agree with the giving part. However I feel that it should go to your church and it should be 10% off the top. Not because this is what I was taught but because It is what I have learn. Before I did this my care would break down or I would get a ticket or something would happen every time I had extra money. Now that I do pay my 10% I have never had a problem with money. I just cant understand how people can get so far in debt. I guess because of my self control and great budging skills is why I don

7. pharmboy says:

Admittedly, I’m an avid listener of Dave’s radio show and enjoy the inspiration and entertainment that it regularly provides my wife and me. However I do agree with you regarding his over-the-top sales pitches. We went to his live event last year and were disappointed in all the attempts to sell books/classes/dvds/etc. It made his company seem cheap to me.

8. Jackie says:

About kids and money (of which I have no kids, but do observe my sisters and their kids) – I like what Amy Dacyczyn wrote about in her Tightwad Gazette. Everyone has different, valid approaches but she said she didn’t like the approach of allowances in exchange for chores. She preferred to teach her kids that everyone in the family has reponsibilities to make sure the home is clean and enjoyable to live in.

I have to admit, after watching my sisters and their kids, I like Amy’s philosophy. My niece and nephews have learned the lesson of money for chores so well that they throw a fit and won’t do hardly anything if they aren’t paid to do it. Everything from washing dishes to mowing the lawn – nothing is considered a chore for the family good, everything is a money-making enterprise.

I have no problem with finding ways for the kids to make some money of their own, to learn money management skills and tying it to some effort on their behalf – especially when they’re too young to have a job. Where I think my family went wrong is that the kids didn’t really have any set chores to begin with, so there was no basis for making a distinction between responsibilities and getting paid to do something outside their regular scope of duties.

9. Amanda says:

In relations to DR and his teaching of kids. I have heard him say that kids have certain things they do “because they are part of the family” as well as certain weekly chores they do where they can earn their commission. Of course, you can also offer “extra” commissions if you have an extra tasks that need to be done or the kids are trying to make extra money.

The principles are to teach kids that you must work for your money, but it does require teaching, not just paying the kids for everything they do.

He is combatting the “allowance” mentality that you get something just for existing.

10. rob62521 says:

I am enjoying your comments about your class. Thanks for sharing!

11. David says:

I like your insight about this class. I have been taking it online and have listened to Ramsey off and on for a couple years. The only thing I would note is that Dave has said that the “Free Spirit” is not necessarily the spender and the “Nerd” could be the spender. This juxtaposition, nerd-spender, free spirit-saver, is how he describes his own marriage.

12. Gail says:

Pride is a very big reason for money problems. My ex and his free spirit money spending ways helped us get into $42K worth of credit card debt–that didn’t include the mortgage for the house we had to have and the car we had to have. When I told him there was no more money and he couldn’t charge anything, his response was that I was ‘emasculating’ him! At that point our minimum credit card payments were over $1100 a month! He didn’t even bring in that much money a month! But his attitude and spending sent us into a deep hole. I got out of the hole by divorcing him, selling the house to pay off the credit cards, and selling the car for one that was affordable. For the next couple of years he just kept on piling up debt. I have no idea what happened to him at this point but I’m sure he is still spending somehow and blaming others when there is no money to even pay the minimum on the bills.

So happy that my current (and last) hubby is on the same wave length as me when it comes to money. We have had financial problems caused mostly by medical problems but it is much easier dealing with it than having a husband having temper tantrums in a grocery store because I won’t buy him something we can’t afford!

13. HelpMeFriend says:

In my group dynamics class we studied stereotypes. They asked us if we had experiences with being in extreme poverty, eating pretzels and mustard for dinner and being upset when the honey mustard was out because all that is left is hot . They asked us if we had experiences with being extremely wealthy, only grandchild for thirteen years with families owning two profitable businesses.
    They asked if we had private school, yes Pre-k-7th. Public, three different schools in 6th alone.
    They asked if we had ever lived in a small, podunk town. Bicknell, IN. Major metropolis? Washington DC. Did we have very successful people to look up to? owning your own business is tops on my list. Being your own boss? No question. Did you have experiences with those not-so-good role models? parents who drink and/or do drugs are not the best to set it up for you. You must learn to do what you know is best.
    You can’t begin to cover the way money affects a person’s relationship with another. You may have so many factors determining your attitude that there isn’t room for compromise to another person and their wants and needs. Dave was smart to be vague but still shed light on the pupal’s way of approaching the “couple” situation and money.