Why Pay to Feel Bad?

I’ve written before about how we’ve cut out cable TV, preferring instead to use Netflix and over the air channels for our entertainment needs. Recently, however, we allowed cable back into the house. I’m a huge Olympics and tennis junkie and my husband is a big NASCAR fan. And March Madness is coming. Between the 2010 Olympics, the Australian Open, and the beginning of the NASCAR season, there was going to be a lot on TV this winter that we wanted to watch. Since the weather is so crummy and we’re stuck inside, we agreed to have them turn the cable back on for just a couple of months and see whether or not it was something we wanted to reinstate full time.

While we

This entry was posted in Entertainment, Personal Finance and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Why Pay to Feel Bad?

1. thriftorama says:

I totally understand. Hubby (37) and me (35) got cable for the first time ever recently, and it’s really just a bunch of commercials. I feel like I pay a lot of money and there is nothing worth watching. We only signed up for it so we can watch international soccer games without going to a bar, so that has been worth it, but otherwise, it wouldn’t be.

2. Emily says:

You get my vote – I recently got Direct TV throughout the house – it has been in our family room for I guess about 8 years. And my husband commanded it. Finally I woke up to the nagging between children and hubby and decided to bite the bullet and let the 3 other tv’s in our house also get direct TV. Result? Everyone is saying in their rooms, it is like a hotel/motel situation with the kitchen being the “check in” place. Not liking that at all. And yes – I have noticed that if I have the TV on in the bedroom my “man cave” man will enter – forget what he wanted to share with me – and just start watching. For some people it is very mind controlling – and for others it can be a take it or leave it proposition. My life in not enriched by having direct TV. The human carnage of “Bridezillas”; Clean House; Hoarders; and I am sure many, many more shows makes me wonderful and question my need for any kind of TV – believe me – one watching of any of these shows and I am feeling bad…like for days!!!!
    AMERICA: TURN OFF THE BOOB TUBE!!!

3. Larabelle says:

I completely agree.
    I also realized that TV was a negative influence in my life as it was eating up all of my time and the shows were depressing me. I also got sick of all of the advertisements….so I gave my television away…yes, yes, YES I went Television free and while I was at it I also gave away my computer. I did keep my radio.
    I am much happier. I have alot more time to read, pray, meditate and just live my life.
    If I had known years ago how wonderful I would feel without a television I would have never allowed the stupid thing in my house in the first place.

4. Larabelle says:

Oh besides making me mentally feel bad I found that TV was financially negatively affecting me. I did not realize how suspectable I was to advertising until I eliminated my tlevision. I found that once I eliminated my television my desire to have things decreased. I have thus far paid off $60K in debt in the past two years.

5. GaelicWench/Jo says:

I have complete, and yes, I mean just that, willpower when it comes to watching the telly.

I have only two tellies in the house. One is in the man-cave; that’s essentially my hubby’s hangout where he (a 100% disabled, but ambulatory, veteran)watches his favorite shows; however, he isn’t disciplined to turn it off when he leaves the room.

I have a DD’s telly in my office. She is currently away at university, so left it here since she wouldn’t have time to watch it anyways. I spend a decent amount of time in this room since my desktop is here as well. My laptop is downstairs in the man-cave.

I have ample opportunity to turn on the telly, but don’t and won’t. My rule is it has to be a show that I, personally, thoroughly enjoy and am following, but which my hubby doesn’t care for. This is rare, however. He and I enjoy watching the Science Channel, the Discover Channels, History, TLC, Planet Green and the local ones. We watch them together. I refuse to hang out inthe man-cave if he’s got something on for the sake of noise it puts out. :::eyeroll::: That is indeed a waste of money, but it is HIS money, and since his only debts are the house and the car, he considers the telly his Leisure expense. He can also work on his custom-made jewelry he plans on selling online and through word-of-mouth.

I don’t feel a bit guilty with this expense because we eat at home a lot; we don’t often go out to eat. I also I am learning a lot by watching the educational channels regarding all manner of subjects.

But it is to each their own to realize faults, weaknesses, and strengths. Lastly, for the need of laughter, I watch only ONE sitcom: “Everybody Loves Raymond” in syndication. That’s how far removed I am from watching the telly.

6. Gail says:

Sounds crazy but after years without TV except for videos and DVDs I realized that I wasn’t getting as much hand needlework doen. Since I generally always do two things at once, I always used TV time to do cross stitch and embroidery. Now I usually read when hubby has a movie on that I’ve seen plenty of times before. My son loaned us and our other son DVDs of The Office which I wanted to see since the one son talked about it all the time. Since that is a show where you have to watch to actually see Jim’s facial expressions I can’t sew with it on either.

But, is that a big enough reason to go back to regular TV and the nonsense that is on? No way. Just seeing what is on the TV while waiting for lab work to get done is always enough to convince me to never turn the TV on to regular TV again. Idiotic are most of the shows and the commercials are even worse.

7. I am with you! I love when the TV is off. I love when the kids have music on and everyone is at the dining table doing projects, puzzles or playing games! WE enjoy each much more!

8. Jackie says:

Personally, I find my tv and the cable package I pay for a time suck – but I don’t find it depressing. I have no problem tuning out commercials (or fastforwarding on my dvr) and a lot of the bad news I either process or let go. However, I do spend way too much time watching TV and the Olympics have me glued to the couch recently – even with the ability to ff through the events I don’t care about, it still takes awhile.

I go back and forth on the expense. Not because I don’t like the shows I watch enough, but because I am overweight and need to be more active. My love of TV is just one of many sedentary activities I like and one of the most expensive.

That said, I do like the perspective of this article. I’m trying to be more frugal, but am still pretty wasteful in certain areas. It is absolutely true that every time I spend money on fastfood that I’m paying for food + all the mental recriminations. I’ve never thought of it that way before and I like this way of approaching the situation.

I have one quibble – “People pay for food that makes them fat and unhealthy. Once in a while is fine, but many people eat like this every day then wonder why they

9. Cindy M says:

You left out the antidepressant pill thing. Most of my family members (most people I know, actually) seem to be some variety, yet they all claim they don’t really work in the long run. And I’d take some issue with you about “having” to see a doctor and what an incredible racket so-called preventive medicine is, but that’s another subject. So much crap advice most people should ignore and just get moving.

I’m into getting out daily if at all possible to take a walk, beats pill popping and helps lift the mood tremendously especially in winter and try to stay more physical (I’ve shovelled a ton of snow this winter; hate it but feel great afterward). I also flip the radio on these days instead of the TV most of the time. I’m reading more now like I used to. I use converter boxes for my TVs and find I only glance at 2 channels. Yes, the news is depressing and not really new anyway. I do my best to take it all with a grain of salt. My 2 cents.