14 Uses for an Empty Glass Jar

A while back I wrote about twelve things you could do with an old shower curtain liner. In the same spirit of saving money and cutting down on waste, I now offer you fourteen things you can do with an empty jar. Of course, what you’re able to do with a jar will depend on the size of the jar. A big spaghetti sauce jar can be used differently than a baby food jar. But in general, here are some ideas for all those jars.

Glasses: I’ve been in several restaurants where the beverages were served in Mason jars. It brings a country feel to the meal and it’s a cheap source of glassware. A plus: Jars are harder to break than fine glassware.

Vases: A big jar makes a great vase, espe

This entry was posted in Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to 14 Uses for an Empty Glass Jar

1. Susan says:

I like these kinds of posts, “100 things to do with cardboard, etc.” Why? Because I run across so many items I hate to throw out and for which I later find a use. And no, I’m not officially a hoarder, yet; however, Depression-Era folks kept every little piece of tin foil they could scrounge and were considered wise. I think I’ll follow their lead.

2. Kevin D. says:

Creepy. I decided to soak and de-label some glass jars yesterdays for the first time ever, and I didn’t really have a reason… just seemed like I might come up with something.

3. Hilary says:

I just started using jars in the past 4 months or so for storage of everything. I freeze food in them, use them for cotton balls in the bathroom, etc. And I recently went to the Container Store, where they were literally selling clean jars for storage. So I think it’s the right path! It also feels very chic, in my opinion.

4. Homebody says:

Yes and also for your cash instead of envelopes. That is what the lady on Tell Debt Do Us Part uses with little labels.

5. Mal says:

When I first started work 40+ years ago we used empty Jam Jars to drink out of.

Now adays I just use them for saving up loose change.

6. Cindy M says:

I have several very large jars with lids I refuse to get rid of but can’t think of much to do with other than make sun tea or kool-aid once in awhile, ha-ha. I have sugar and flour in 2 others I have. I frankly much prefer glass containers for storage, in the microwave and for carry-ins at my church. They seem cleaner to me. The smaller ones are great for organizing smaller things.

7. This one is my fav. As my kids are always bringing in bugs :-)

Bug houses: When the kids want to catch fireflies, caterpillars, or other creepy crawlies, use old jars as bug homes. Just don

8. lydia says:

I have a question i have two empty fabreeze candle holders and have no idea what to do with them. my husband suggested we use them as drinking glasses but not sure if it is safe to do so even after washing them several times. Any advice?