12 Things to Do With an Old Shower Curtain Liner

ways to reuse shower curtain

One of the best ways to save money and be frugal is to find ways to reuse things that can no longer be used for their intended purpose. I’ve gotten pretty good at this over the years, finding uses for jars, spare parts, newspaper, old clothes and many more items that most people just throw away. The other day I needed to replace my shower curtain liner. I hated to just throw it away if I could figure out some other way to use it for a little longer, so I gave it some thought and came up with twelve ways I could reuse the liner.

Wash it and rehang it

Many people don’t realize that a vinyl liner can be washed. If unattractive mold is your only problem, just put it in the washing

This entry was posted in Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to 12 Things to Do With an Old Shower Curtain Liner

1. Lots of stuff we throw away has a second life potential.

John DeFlumeri Jr

2. fern says:

These are all good ideas. I might add that one thing NOT to do is buy another vinyl shower curtain lining.

Of all the plastics, PVC plastic or vinyl is the most environmentally damaging. Throughout its lifecycle it requires hazardous chemicals in production, releases harmful additives and creates toxic wastes.

As well as environmentally damaging production PVC consumer products also present a hazard to consumers. Plasticisers are not bound to the plastic and can leach out over time; for instance plasticisers in vinyl flooring, will evaporate into the room. The most common plasticiser, the phthalate DEHP, is a suspected carcinogen.

3. creditcardfree says:

Great ideas. I have washed ours several times and it works great. I agree with fern…not to buy another vinyl shower curtain.

4. crazyliblady says:

To Fern,
    Wow. I know about BPA and so now have eliminated a lot of it from our home, but I did not know shower curtains are dangerous. What are the alternatives? I rent my home, so I cannot install a shower door or anything.

5. fern says:

Instead of a vinyl liner you can use a bamboo curtain. I have priced them, they’r ea little expensive, but would be a totally healthy addiiton to your home.

6. cheetahwoman7 says:

Actually, I’ve used one to protect my floor while painting a room. It’s thicker and seems to work better than those “plastic wrap” ones that you buy in the paint department. :)

7. Joan says:

Fern, are those bamboo curtains (That had a different menaing in the 1960’s, 70’s!) bamboo sticks or bamboo fabric? I’ve heard that the processing of bamboo into fabric is a very polluting process. Seems like we can’t win for losing.

8. fern says:

I was talking about bamboo curtains. If what you said is true, Joan, that’s very disheartening. I guess it’s wroth further research.

9. Would have never thought of any of those great ideas! Most I ever used them for was rags.

10. Cindy M says:

I think like you – an empty container, what can I do with it? Trouble with this is you can accumulate a lot of empty containers and now that I’ve moved to a smaller place, I hate to have much clutter. Think I’ll go out on the net and find out what I can do with my empty coffee cans. I’ve made good use of small pill bottles and jars, however.

11. Pingback: 14 Uses for an Empty Glass Jar - SavingAdvice.com Blog

12. Meaghan says:

very creative list! thanks for sharing

13. Mary says:

We take our old clear vinyl shower curtain, clean it up, and tightly staple it a piece of plywood. Our son uses it as an outdoor drawing board. It’s basically a big dry erase board.

14. Nancy says:

What do you do with the empty pill bottles?