The Financial Benefits of Being a Late Adopter

I tend to be way behind the technology curve. Heck, I finally got a Wii two months ago, three years after the system came out. It’s not that I don’t like technology; I do and I’m always reading up on new gadgets to see what developments are coming. It’s just that I’ve found that keeping up with the pace of technology is not only exhausting, it’s expensive. Very rarely do I need the latest and greatest of anything so I just sort of hang back until I have a need, or until the product becomes so cost effective (or demonstrates significant value for me) that I can justify the purchase.

Some of my tech-loving friends like to tease me for being so far behind. W

This entry was posted in Entertainment, Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to The Financial Benefits of Being a Late Adopter

1. Jennifer, I think the way you do, practically. Not just emotionally, I don’t need the latest gadget, just a value priced utility one, as long as it does the job for me.

John DeFlumeri Jr.

2. Ella says:

Agreed… when it comes to technology, it seems like if you don’t NEED it now, it’s worth it to wait. I’m so glad I waited several years to get my iPhone, now that the 3GS is out, it’s faster, cheaper, and less buggy.

3. Jay Gatsby says:

If you wait long enough, sometimes you discover that you don’t need a particular piece of technology at all.

Remember when texting was all the rage? Today, texting seems a bit passe when everyone has portable e-mail on a Blackberry, iPhone, etc… Why limit yourself to sending a text when you can send an e-mail with a picture or video? The same goes for “netbooks,” which used to sell in the $400+ range, but are now as cheap as $199. I still haven’t pulled the trigger yet, but probably will when the newer processors and larger hard drives become more prevalent.

4. Cristi Smith says:

another good benefit to the wii is that you can use gamecube games with it and stuff like that. Nintendo was more adaptable than other game makers. we did purchase a ps3 a year ago but one of our decisions on that was that the blue ray player was included so felt that by combining the game playing we wanted with the other option it was worth the investment. also seems to have lasted MUCH longer than some peoples xbox’s.

5. Williejeff says:

You have described my own approach to the tee. You can save a bundle and hassel by not being an early adopter.

6. Gail says:

And then there are folks like me that don’t even know what a Wii is or would be able to recognize one if put in front of my face. I know I have no need for it (whatever it is) as I have lasted 54 years already without one. Basically we end up the same way with most technology. We have no cell phone, no handheld gadgets (whatever they are called). We are sad that we can no longer get a VHS player independent of a DVD player. Bluray is a foreign language to me. We have a huge collection of VHS tapes and DVDs that we have picked up (many at yard sales or were given as gifts) and have no desire to dump them and replace them with the latest whatever. I suppose someday our technology will finally break down and we will have to try something else, but for now we don’t have any needs for them at all.

7. ThiNg says:

You may want to wait on the blu-ray players. With static memory cards becoming so cheap, you’ll soon be able to get full HD stuff on memory cards. Then there will be no more discs to scratch! Blu-ray has also had a very slow adoption rate, with a vast majority of people sticking with DVD. You may just end up with your Betamax player afterall!