Owning a Small Business: The Office

My business definitely qualifies as a small business. I hope that it will someday grow into a bigger business but, for now, it is just me doing what I do. That is fine because my clients know that they will get quality service from me even though I am not backed by an army of support staff. At the same time, I know that I need to project a bigger image to my potential clients and I realized very quickly that the image I want requires that I not work from home.

I was reluctant to set up my office in my home, anyway, because of privacy concerns and because I did not really want to bring clients into my home for meetings. It is easy to work at my house when there are no clients around, but

This entry was posted in Personal Finance, Saving Money, Work and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Owning a Small Business: The Office

1. Rick says:

Great Article.
    We have many clients that use our service for basic office support.

2. joemicheal says:

After reading your article, I suggest you to occupy your home space, renovate it (if necessary)and start your work from there.

For meetings to clients you can use skype and other messages tool who also provide an video conference facility. Save your earnings, it’s yours.

Another soultion is to join online market places where your clients already know that from where you are giving services to them.

3. Broken Arrow says:

Oh, that is very interesting! Thank you for sharing this!

4. Gail says:

David, your mentioning how the baker helps you reminds me of what I read in the book The Tipping Point: How Little Things Can Make a Big Difference by Malcolm Gladwell. If you haven’t read this book yet, you may want to as it is very interesting and your baker sounds like the kind of guy that the author was talking about. The guy that knows everything and everybody and is glad to help you out just for the joy of doing it.

My hubby, who came from a family of self-employed uncles and his siblings are all self employed, helps me to have the confidence to dip my toe in the pool and then take the plunge. Very hard for me as I came from a family where I was always being told ‘you don’t want to do that’. Poor/low earnings jobs were fine, but to have a dream of doing better and making more was discouraged. So having someone to whom taking those chances that having your own business (no matter how big or small)entails and encourages me to try anyhow is terrific!

5. Ron says:

Everyone needs a virtual water cooler from time to time, it get get lonely working from home! The virtual office option seems to be growing in popularity, thanks Dave!

6. Daniel says:

What you really need is a HybridOffice-not completely green, but here to save you some. Use of a business address, and access to on demand meeting spaces. The rest of the time you work from home. Think of it as the meeting point between your home office and your clients office. How can you concentrate on your core business, when you are constantly thinking about recurring overhead.

7. I think it’s quite a fair arrangement when you’re starting up and need low overhead and ver little office usage.

John DeFlumeri Jr

8. As a virtual office provider in Denver, CO I am happy to hear that you have found a virtual office that meets your business’s needs. People in our industry are always singing the praises of virtual officing, but it carries a lot more weight when sung by an actual user.

Sadly, it’s not a surprise to hear that your commercial real estate contacts were not knowledgable of, or didn’t share information with you about, virtual offices. Commercial real estate agents make their living on commissions, so the less amount of money a tenant spends, the less the agent gets… So they have little incentive to stear you towards a low cost option like a virtual office. Fortunately for you, your baker friend certainly pointed you in the right direction.

9. damon says:

Great article!

I had heard of virtual office spaces before, but forgot about them.

Thanks for the reminder and it’s good to hear a customer’s point of view of them. It sounds like they would be a great opportunity for a lot of people.