Five Topics You Should Never Discuss With Clients

I am tired. I have been up for the past two nights until about 1 am trying to finish projects for clients and writing content for my website. I am also a bit under the weather, as I seem to have a sore throat and headache that just won’t go away. I can tell you such things. I can also tell my family when I am sick or tired, or even when I am just down in the dumps. I can tell my friends when things are not going right. There are a lot of people I can tell, but there is one very important group of people who never need to know, or even should know, when I am sick, tired, down or frazzled – my clients.

It is always important to remember that even when your clients are your fr

This entry was posted in Personal Finance, Relationships, Work and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Five Topics You Should Never Discuss With Clients

1. Carol says:

In general, I don’t talk to anyone about politics or religion.

I’m working with a younger (just out of high school) adult and am teaching him professionalism, time management and basically what it’s like to work at a job (no concept of these thigns whatsoever). These are all good points to bring up to him too.

One thing I did bring up with him, and although it’s not a conversation piece, it’s equally important: your social network pages. Talking about being out all night partying is not what your boss (or clients) want to read about!

2. Sarah says:

I always find it in bad taste to talk negatively about others in your profession or other companies in general. For example, I moved out of state and went to visit a dentist. This guy went on and on about how my orthodontist in the previous state made horrible decisions about my treatment. Even though I agreed with him to a point, I was just disgusted with his reaction! He went as far as to call him an idiot. It hurt my feelings as well because I paid this so-called idiot. Anyway, I did not go back and found a dentist with a more pro-active attitude.

3. M E 2 says:

CAROL said: “In general, I don

4. baselle says:

Substitute Clients with Co workers, and that would be advice that I live by at my day job.

5. Ann says:

In general, I agree, but there can be exceptions… like with any rule.

There are people I’ve known for decades that have also been co-workers and clients. Some forbidden subjects do end up coming up for discussion, but, in those cases, you need to be extra sensitive to any which can push buttons.

Take religion. I’ve worked with some very religious people and the subject has come up. I generally give the short answer — very spiritual, but anti-organized religion. If they can accept that, we can have some really interesting dialogues. If they can’t, I avoid the subject and just smile, if they bring it up. I appreciate that their beliefs work for them and am fascinated by various rituals and beliefs, but I’m not up for arguing with them about the state of my soul. LOL

I like Carol’s comment about the social networking pages. It’s an important point to bring up with young people, as is limiting personal calls during working hours. I’ve had staff who thought it was totally appropriate to spend hours on the phone with friends and then complained about there not being enough time to get their work done!

Know some young people who should be reading your article! :-)

6. Sex is the biggest, most explosive time bomb, always has been between clients and advisors. But, what do we do to control it, Once it starts?

John DeFlumeri Jr.

7. EF Cussins says:

My dad taught me a good work ethic and professionalism when dealing with clients. Of course he was not big on the social networking thing. That I have had to learn on my own.

8. Bob Farmer says:

Excellant advice, easy to forget.

Bob

9. I’ve always subscribed to the philosophy that you’ll be happy at work if 1) you believe in what you do 2) enjoy who you do it with and 3) feel you are fairly compensated for doing it.

I have a lot of long-term coworkers, and I’ve found our relationships to be much more rewarding when we share more intimate details of our lives. When someone asks me what I did over the weekend, I have no problem answering “went to church” or “had to ground a child”. Recently, in fact, they’ve been quite helpful in getting me through some difficult parenting situations. They came to my wedding and I go to their kids’ band events.

While it is -safest- to keep your coworkers at arms distance, the right coworkers can also turn into great friends.

10. Scott A.Epler says:

every single topic you cover here is 100% true and should be followed one thing that You need to instill in your client is confidence and any negativity Obsrved by the client could result in your account termination or very rocky relations!