Christmas In a Down Economy

Now that Halloween is over, the retailers have removed the gloves and stopped pretending like any other holiday matters. It’s now full speed ahead to Christmas. Usually I dread this time of year.

I enjoy Christmas itself but I hate all the trappings that go along with it. I hate the marketing hype and the focus on spending. I prefer to keep my celebrations small and meaningful, not lavish and expensive. And my “smallness” of celebration has always made me a bit of an oddball in the eyes of many. But this year is different. For the first time in many years I find myself excited about Christmas again. Or at least interested.

I’ve already heard from many people that th

This entry was posted in Frugal, Holidays, Personal Finance, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Christmas In a Down Economy

1. EF Cussins says:

I enjoy the time to focus on family and relationships. What I hate is the stress that goes with getting the right Christmas present for everybody around me.

2. Pat Merritt says:

When I was little, in Flint Michigan, there was a labor strike around Christmas and my parents had no money at all for gifts.

I remember that as the bestest Christmas ever. My Dad made me a snow tiger and cubs in the backyard, and a spinning top out of a thread bobbin, rubber band and a stick. My Mom held me on her lap all day.

They paid attention to me. I think that if parents do this for their kids, they will feel the same.

3. Money does not make a memorable gift most of the time anyway!

John DeFlumeri Jr

4. George says:

Lashing out against retailers is not personal finance advice. Your personal problems with Christmas spending are justified and even applauded. However it’s an error to judge others and your article has no content.
    I usually enjoy the articles here, but I can’t encourage writing such as this.

5. Emily says:

Christmas has been and will always be an interesting topic of discussion which is what this format is all about. Every year I learn more about myself, my family and my friends in and around Christmas time. Suffice to say what works in my world will not necessarily work in yours. In this country the need to judge and criticize seems to be slowing now that 50 million people are uninsured, 10.2% noted as unemployed although I feel the percentage is much, much higher. That might be one of the true Christmas gifts that will not be found under the tree. Compassion. I hope to see more of that virtue this Christmas….

6. Ronny Howard says:

I think all gifting in general, xmas included, should be budgeted and you should not go overboard.

Saving up for it throughout the year makes it easier to handle when it comes time to use it all.

7. Asabi Olayinka says:

Christmas is not only about what we can buy to indulge ourselves, but how much of human milk of kindness that can flow from us to the needy and the neglected ones

8. Kelly says:

Our family has used elfster.com to organize a secret santa-type gift exchange. We even set it up among the little cousins so they can participate in giving some kind of gift to the cousin whose name they drew. We all feel there is too much excess and stress around the holidays, so it is a tradition we hope continues through the generations of our family. As for the wishlist items some of us add to our profile, they do include things like “babysit our kids so my husband and I can enjoy a movie or dinner”, walk our dog while we are on vacation.