Shopping Lessons I Hope My Son Learns

The other day, I went out for coffee with my teen-aged son. My son and I went on a Sunday and I was not sure whether the bakery would be open as it was late in the day. My son asked why we were going to that particular bakery; since there is a coffee shop that he knew would be open nearby. I explained that I had seen on a local frugalista website that the coffee was being given away to get people to try to the bakery.

Upon hearing my reasons for choosing that particular bakery, my son gave me a dumbfounded stare and declared that (i) I was really weird for using the word frugalista and (ii) even if the bakery were closed, we could still get coffee at the coffee shop as it was their BOGO

This entry was posted in Budgeting, Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Shopping Lessons I Hope My Son Learns

1. Matt says:

good blog. i strive to teach my kids financial responsibility. and nothing is worse than having buyers remorse.

2. Kids don’t understand money until they support themselves.

3. Ann says:

Kids learn by example and you’re setting a good one! Just make sure your kids are conscious of where you also went wrong, like the stereo system. ;-)

4. I hope my son learns never to buy anything if he didn’t work for the money first.

5. Joan says:

Heh-heh, the “frugalista” thing is humorous.

6. It is wonderful that your son is learning these money management at an early age. Most of us didn’t have the right parental guidance where money is concern and so make a lot of mistakes. Sometimes when I looked back at the way I waste my money I cringe but it never too late to learn and move on. Thanks for a wonderful article.

7. Pingback: Black Coffee: My Favorite Blogs, Money News & Opinions #19

8. persephone says:

Excellent lessons but they are hard to teach a teen. I agree with John DeFlueri’s comment that kids really do not understand money until they have no safety net at home.

9. Gail says:

My youngest son is very into saving money and making a dollar stretch. He has read all my frugal living books and taken them to heart. He is totally self supporting and as I have mentioned in other posts, he is high functioning autistic, so he is always working against a deficit yet has learned to be cautious with his money. He spent several weeks comparing auto insurance after seeing that his premium was going up and he found a cheaper alternative. Now he is looking for a cheap way to hook up to the internet since he has been given a used computer but doesn’t have a land line, so he is researching to see if he can afford to hook up or will need to continue to use the library and my computer for internet acess. He helps me find deals at the grocery store, etc. I love having him help me get groceries. The older son is not so frugal, but is trying hard to pay off a ton of bills left following a divorce and has almost halved them in the past year. Kids learn by what they see.

10. spicoli says:

It is hard to teach a teen to use money responsibly. It sounds like your son is on the right track. Just give him time. I agree with the lessons that you are trying to teach and I expect your son is learning them, even if he does think that they are weird!

11. Pingback: The Best of Black Coffee: 43 of the Worst Personal Finance Articles of 2009