Not Feeling Guilty About Freebies

Like most people, I love to find a bargain. A BOGO deal coupled with a great coupon is a cause for great pride. A 90%-off clearance sale where I can find things that I will actually use is a great thing. A 50th anniversary celebration at a restaurant that rolls back its prices to 1959 is a really cool, must-attend event. You probably agree with me or you would not likely be visiting this site.

When I get the best deal possible — namely when something is free — I don’t feel quite as good. In fact, I feel bad at times. You’ve probably seen free deals advertised, usually at new restaurants. Free coffee or free desserts or free appetizers are offered in the hope th

This entry was posted in Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Not Feeling Guilty About Freebies

1. Eleanor says:

My guilt trip comes about when we are traveling and stop to use the restroom at a convenience store or McDonalds. Hubby and I feel compelled to buy SOMETHING. SO, it’s usually a fountain soft drink (we prefer them to cans, anyway) or two apple pies for $1 at McDonalds. Nothing expensive, just a “thank you” for clean facilities.

2. Annie Jones says:

It seems the basic questions here are whether I’m willing to spend money because I feel guilty about getting something for free or because I feel some kind of loyalty to a local business owner. My answers are no and no.

I never feel compelled to make a purchase just because I’ve been given something for free. When businesses offer free items, they are hoping to make some direct sales (as well as indirect ones) based on that freebie. However, they would be foolish to count on those sales. That all of the free merchandise could be taken without ANY additional sales is a chance they take. The way I see it, if a business is willing to give something away, no strings attached, I’m more than willing to take it, no strings attached. It doesn’t matter if the business is national or local.

That said, I don’t take freebies I don’t want or can’t use.

I rarely listen to public radio. I sometimes watch public television. I’ve been known to donate to both, but never feel obligated.

Truthfully, I resent people and businesses asking me to buy things or to give donations, whether it’s a national retailer or the kid next door. Thanks, but no thanks. I’ll decide on my own what goods to buy and which causes to support.

3. Jay Gatsby says:

Use of restrooms costs a restaurant literally pennies, and that restroom has more than been paid for by other customers. Besides, you probably wouldn’t use the restroom of a restaurant (e.g., McDonalds) that you wouldn’t patronize on another occasion. Consequently, you’ve either paid for your use of the restroom already, or will on a future visit.

As for other freebies, businesses know that there are people who will take the freebie but not buy anything. This is already compensated for in the business model.

Don’t feel guilty about freebies. After all, they’re free!

4. Free things from merchants are a form of advertisements. They hope we will return to buy the item the next time, or buy accessories to the free item when we go to get it.

Take all the free stuff you can get.

John DeFlumeri Jr

5. Ann says:

I only take freebie if they’re something I’d use and don’t feel compelled to buy anything.

When I’m traveling, I’ll use a fastfood chain for a pit stop. Sometimes, I’ll buy a fountain drink or something else, but only if I’m thirsty or hungry. :-) I figure they get my business on other occasions, so…

With digital tv (and refusing to get cable), I can no longer get PBS… and I miss it! I’ve donated occasionally, but find myself getting resentful towards charities, etc. that dun me again… and again… and again… and again just because I donated once.

Nope, no guilt here regarding freebies! :-)

6. Jackie says:

Using the restroom at a fastfood place like McDonalds – guilt free. I eat there often enough, usually via the drivethru, so I feel that for all of the time I saved them money by not eating in, that they can give me a few free restroom visits. However, if I’m driving in an area I’m unfamiliar with, I will buy a fountain drink or bottle of water if I stop at a gas station just to use their restroom.

Other things, I don’t feel guilty. The business offers freebies for a reason, so I feel no guilt in taking them up on their gamble.

7. Natalie says:

Believe me, no guilt here! Whatever is being offered for free, I’ll take it and if I can’t use it I’ll give it away!

8. persephone says:

Free is free. I don’t think twice about getting something for free. Why should I?

9. Matt says:

my good nature sometimes does make me feel guitly if it isnt a store that normally purchase from, but people will normally try to justify their actions thinking that society owes them something.

10. spicoli says:

I will take anything if it is free. If I can’t use it, I’ll find someone who can. That said, I won’t make a special trip to store or restaurant to get a Freebie unless it is really big. As a result, I usually only get something for free when I am in a store to buy things.

11. Lisa says:

Responding to Ann, I agree about being dunned by charities. I donate and then they send me mail that is cost equivalent to my donation and they sell my name to others. I only want to donate without giving my name because of this.