Low Cost Stress Relief

Recently I went through a very stressful period in my life. I usually handle stress pretty well, but for some reason this time was different. The stress was making me ill. I had gastric problems related to the stress, I got migraines for the first time, and I started grinding my teeth at night, ruining some dental work. I had to find a way to deal with my stress, but I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on spas, massages, retail therapy, vacations, or psychotherapy. I needed to find some inexpensive ways to tackle stress. I found quite a few that worked well for me and so I’m passing them along to you.

Coloring books

I’m not kidding. I picked up some coloring books at the

This entry was posted in Frugal, Health, Personal Finance and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Low Cost Stress Relief

1. Jennifer, That sounds like you did all the right things to unwind the tightness that intense thinking brings to us, STRESS. Playing, kid-type activities works wonders. Thanks for a great column again!

John DeFlumeri Jr

2. Hilary says:

I hope everything is OK now. I just went through a very stressful period of my life as well, and I wish I had though of all the strategies that you mentioned. The months when I was particularly stressed were especially rough on my budget, now that I am looking back. It’s alright to slip a bit, but learning healthier habits for dealing with stress is better for life, as well as your wallet.

3. wandaa84 says:

Great advice and I’m glad you’re feeling better.

4. Piers Cross says:

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you for sharing how you got through your stresses and strains!

I too found that painting and drawing was one of the best healers I had. I used to get huge pieces of cardboard – 3 metres long – and throw paint at it. Not only did it reduce my stress, it was also good exercise!

Wishing you much happiness,

Be well,

Piers

5. Cindy M says:

Looks like you have all the bases covered. Had to laugh about the coloring books and crayons. I get a kick out of the back-to-school sales. I bought a brand new box of Crayolas, coloring books, composition books – you get the picture. I felt like a kid. Everything that caught my eye was so cheap, I couldn’t resist since I actually will use the stuff. I find myself walking more (Ohio is wonderful in the fall, my favorite time of the year), both just to enjoy the outdoors and because I live fairly close to a lot of good shopping. I don’t spend much if anything on xmass gifts but always start to keep my eyes open for little bargains you can only seem to find this time of year for the folks I love and for me. Cooking is also a stress-relieving thing I enjoy. So many little things can be had for free or next to free if you keep your eyes and imagination open.

6. Cindy M says:

P.S. – Forgot to say I know what you mean about having some serious stress, and I’m glad you’ve found ways to cope. I personally had both a change in jobs earlier this year AND recently moved, putting my house up for sale. Difficult decisions, very stressful, but glad I did both.

7. Gerry Geneva says:

Thank you very much for doing this article about anti-stress solution. This is a great and informative site that really gives you insights what is the cause and effect of stress. I have experienced this before and it really took a toll on my personal life and even job! It is troublesome and at first I didn