Money Considerations when Buying a Pet

You may recall that a labradoodle puppy joined my family earlier this year. Adding a dog to our household has brought many changes. Some have cost us money. Some have saved us money. Some just serve to demonstrate that it is easier for us to spoil our dog than it is for us to spoil ourselves.

For example, our puppy definitely eats better than anyone else in our house on a consistent basis. Because he is so small, he does not require a lot of food. That allows us to buy him better quality food than we would otherwise have purchased if he had been a larger breed. At every meal, I look over at the fresh meat and vegetables that my puppy is eating and remark to my wife that he eats better

This entry was posted in Food / Groceries, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Money Considerations when Buying a Pet

1. Pet ownership can run crazy money. Even a healthy dog can cost over $1000 a year in health maintenance, food, grooming. Figure 20 a week, easy.

2. My pet is not overweight and I do not walk her.

She runs herself ragged in the yard chasing cars from one side of the fence to the other!

Not all people who have overweight dogs are under-exercised themselves, this statement just seems a bit too ‘broad’, excuse the pun! :) Some just might have other hobbies, interests, metabolisms, and exercise routines that don’t include Rover. Could they stand to take Rover out for a healthful walk? Yes. Absolutely.

3. Chip Johnson says:

Great article David! I maintain that pets are more expensive to raise than human children. I am not sure it is possible to save money with dogs.

4. Ann says:

I don’t have a pet. LOL If I’d purchased a home further out in the country, I was told I should have a dog as an early warning system (and buy and learn how to use a shotgun for 2- and 4-legged pests). I’m kinda glad I’m in town. :-)

I have friends though who have spent thousands on their dog! The dog is pedigreed from an excellent line, but still managed to have two major problems that resulted in multiple surgeries. Definitely expensive!

5. persephone says:

I like to take my dog to the dog bakeries near my house. There are several and they always give free treats to my dog while we shop.

6. spicoli says:

I agree with the comment that it costs about $20 per week to have a dog but I think there are savings, too. I do not have a dog but my parents have seriously cut down on the amount of money they spend eating out and going to stores because neither of them wants to leave their dog home alone.

Watching them is one of the reasons that I will never buy a dog.

7. kenyantykoon says:

we had dogs once, they were german shepherds and i loved them very much but after we moved to a more crowded place, we have never been able to get others. they are nice animals to have around, most of the time anyways, the worst part is cleaning up after them, disgusting….

8. We have a pet Chinchilla which cost just $95 bucks. However, the bedding and food alone cost $100/month.

Pets aren’t cheap, but they are cut and relieve streSs! :)

FS

9. Shibabigk says:

How small is your dog and what do you fed? How much excrcise does he get? 2 cups seems a lot for a small breed dog, thats more than what one of mine at 70 pounds eats.

10. Lou Russo says:

I save money on pets by not having one.

11. I have a Bull Mastiff and a Pit/Lab mix and I can definitely attest to the cost of having to feed a large dog (or two!)

12. Lisa says:

What the heck is a labradoodle – don’t you mean a mutt? A fashionable cross breed at best which surprises me that it’s so small. Can we believe one parent was a Labrador and the other a Poodle – but what size Poodle. Hope the bitch wasn’t the smaller of the parents – that would be plain cruel :P

13. Gail says:

What you really didn’t mention was the vet fees and more vet fees as they try to tell you that your pet needs every vaccination known to man. When my vet suggested I take my dog to the airport (60 miles away) to socialize it, I realized that either I or my vet was crazy and I decided it wasn’t me. I no longer have the dog. I loved my dog, but he cost us a bundle of money during his stay with us.

What I have seen unfortunately, are people with not enough money to feed themselves keeping their pets at great cost to themselves. No pet is worth sacrificing your own well being for, especially if you are flat broke. People facing bankruptcy and the like, one of the first things to go along with Cable TV is the pets they are constantly spending money they don’t have on. Some may think it harsh, but I have no patience for people whining to me how they have no money and then in the next breath tell me about the Burger King sandwiches they had for supper including one for the dog!