Fall Fun At Little Cost

I love October, as it starts my favorite three months of the year: autumn weather, the beautiful transition from the final days of summer weather to the first days of winter, Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas! There is not a better ninety days in the calendar.

Unfortunately, over the past few decades, the consumerism that infected the Christmas season seems to have infused the month of October as well. When once upon a time, kids would make their own Halloween costumes, now they are purchased from stores and they are increasingly elaborate and even more increasingly expensive. Homes are decorated with hugely complex and costly animatronic Halloween decorations. I’ve even seen

This entry was posted in Entertainment, Frugal, Holidays, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Fall Fun At Little Cost

1. Fall can be a wonderful time for family and friends to relax outside. A little summer and a hint of winter make it interesting. And you’re right it doesn’t have to cost a lot.

2. Ann says:

Out by me there are apple orchards where you can pick your own apples…. or buy any quantity up to bushels. :-) A lot of these places also have apple butter, apple bread, apple pies of all sorts, etc.

There are haunted houses made up by various clubs where the proceeds go to charity and I know of at least one cornfield maze.

I remember one wet, cold halloween when I was little where my costume ended up being my brother’s football uniform ’cause I could wear heavy clothes underneath it! LOL In my 20’s, I lived in California and one of our friends was heavily into “the industry”. He had a halloween party every year, but we didn’t have a lot of money, so one year my ex’s costume and mine were tights, a belted tunic and makeup — black and white patterns all over our faces and hands and we made up a story about the planet we came from. It was like being a kid again. LOL

When I moved back to the Midwest, I was astonished by the fall colors — there really are trees that turn a brilliant maroon and others that glow like polished gold or look like they’re on fire because they’re so red! I still pick up pretty leaves that catch my eye and arrange them in a bowl and make arrangements from branches with orange berries on them and anything else that catches my interest. I picked up (cheap) a clear glass jar that’s perfect for holding oak leaves and acorns with a candle in the middle for fall and pine branches with pinecones for Christmas.

One year, we ran out of wrapping paper, so I wrapped one gift for my brother in white paper and drew and painted the 12 days of Christmas on it. Now I get a kick out of wrapping some of my gifts in brown paper from grocery bags and stenciling (using a cut out sponge and cheap paint) or drawing things that remind us of Christmas on it for decoration.

Anyone remember the spooky stuff like peeled grapes in a bowl that were supposed to be eyeballs? LOL

Yup, great time of year to do things that don’t cost a lot of money!

3. spicoli says:

For me, the fall is all about toasted pumpkin seeds!

4. Sherri says:

I enjoyed your article. It not only provides good ideas, it brought back wonderful memories.

5. Bobby says:

Fall and its accompanying inclement weather means Board Games night with friends. No need to go out and spend money.

6. Lucy says:

Make better use of your library. With the nights being longer reading is the most traditional and inexpensive way to enjoy yourself. Libraries are free sources of hours of entertainment.Also you have the InterLibrary loan system which means you are only limited by your imagination and tastes as to which book to enjoy.

7. Tightwad says:

David please keep sharing your stories, thoughts, ideas and suggestions.
    I am enjoying your articles because they are so informative and some bring back wonderful memories for this ol’ poop.
    KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! :D

8. persephone says:

I love to take walks in the early evening during the Fall. It is too hot to do so in the summer and too cold in the winter but from September until the middle of December, I look forward to my evening walk.

9. Cecil Dellison says:

Fall, just like other seasons, is not the reason to splurge. We need to be mindful of the fact that emergencies do happen, and an emergency fund is of utter importance unless you want to be overdrawn and struggling to get by, living paycheck to paycheck.

10. Gail says:

Although I generally love fall weather we have had the wettest summer on record and are apparently trying for the wettest fall on record also. I can’t remember a day that it hasn’t rained in so long. I am tired of the miserable gray skies. I would love to see the beauty but I think it is getting all rained away.

I was shocked the other day to see that average spending on Halloween was more than $50 and that is down this year. Things sure have changed!

11. Susan says:

This IS a really great time of the year, I enjoyed reading and remembering too.