The Financial Benefits of Yearly Passes

Today I rode Atlantis another seven times. That brings my total up to twenty-two rides in the past three weeks. Atlantis, for those of you who are not familiar with SeaWorld Orlando, is a flume ride that my son and I rather enjoy — so much so that we have decided to ride it at least 100 times over the course of a year.

We can do this because we live relatively close to Orlando and because we have annual passes to Sea World. At a cost of about $100, the passes offer tremendous value, as long as we use them. In addition to free admission to SeaWorld, we also get free parking (a minimum of $12 savings for each visit to the park) and discounts on food, drink and merchandise throughout

This entry was posted in Budgeting, Entertainment, Holidays, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to The Financial Benefits of Yearly Passes

1. Annie Jones says:

I mentioned on my blog that we recently went to Silver Dollar City in Branson, MO, with my sister and brother-in-law. We went (for free) as their guests, which is part of that park’s season pass program. A stranger gave us another season pass guest ticket and we were able to get our granddaughter in for free as well.

My sister buys these passes every year. Not only do they enjoy going to the park, but guests in their home usually want to go there, too. It offers my sister an inexpensive way to entertain her guests.

It seems to me that most season passes start saving money with the second visit. Going twice anywhere (theme park, zoo, public swimming pool) is usually an easy thing to do.

2. That is the best way to get your money’s worth and you also get to enjoy the place in a more relaxed way. You will have much more fun, and it’s more economical too.

John DeFlumeri Jr

3. Ann says:

When I was working downtown (monthly train and bus passes were standard), I joined the Art Institute in Chicago. It got me free visits any time and tickets to anyof the special shows they had. I absolutely loved it! And the annual membership cost about the same as tickets to just one of the special displays.

Unfortunately, there’s nothing out where I live that would make annual passes worthwhile at this point.

4. Scott A.Epler says:

That is a true value and I guess you can buy enjoyment these days, I will never forget some of the great rides like the Super Dooper Looper Caoster That I went on as a kid , Unfortunately I dont think Sea world will Be opening any parks in Icy N.H. too Bad cause I would Buy a pass for a $100 in a Second for that kind of Bargain Deal.

5. Monkey Mama says:

All GREAT points.

This year we had season passes to the Water Park. We never went on at a busy time – often just after school or after lunch for a few hours (to avoid the expensive food).

If you will go anywhere more than once, a season pass will usually come out ahead. Also, everywhere we went this year offered a cheaper “season pass.” For the water park it was just a few dollars to turn a day ticket into a season ticket “at that location only.” It’s like “season pass lite.” We went full season pass because we utilized 2 locations often. We also visited another park for just one day (knowing we wouldn’t return) and they had similar options, to extend a day pass to a “season-pass” without the free parking, etc. You’d have to run the cost/benefit of the various type of season passes offered. If we had returned once, that was the best option, there.

In addition, we have “membership” to a local museum and play area. Same concept. Gives us plenty to do all year, generally with barely over the cost of one visit.

6. Monkey Mama says:

P.S. Our favorite “zoo” is closed for renovation, but when it reopens we will get membership there too. It gets us in free/discounted to all the zoos and museums in the state pretty much – and many in the US. I live in California and was surprised when we got a nice discount at the Wichita KS zoo, visiting relatives.

7. Pingback: Save Money Vacationing with a Child - SavingAdvice.com Blog

8. Anette says:

Also, if you get a membership to a science museum, many of them are in an organization that allows free visits to sister organizations. We are members of a science museum in Upstate New York that will get us into several hundred other science museums, and also has a reciprocal “Empire State” arrangement that allows us to get into all sorts of other New York State museums for free. I think there is a similar thing for zoos and aquariums.

9. Robert says:

My family has passes to Disneyland, Well worth it. Nice way to spend a Sunday, We go at least twice a month. And get this, Now Disney offers a monthly payment plan for all annual pass types, Very smart.