How I Practically Stole a Wii

I know, I know. I said I’d never buy a Wii. Funny how never comes around sooner than you think. A few weeks ago I stayed with some family members who have a Wii and I realized just how much fun one could be. I was used to the passive gaming experience where you sit on the sofa and punch buttons and I’ve found that I’ve enjoyed that kind of gaming less and less over the years. I just assumed the Wii wouldn’t be much different and that it would sit around gathering dust. I was wrong and I’m willing to eat crow over it. After a week with my family, I knew that a Wii would get a ton of use in my house and be worth every penny. Of course, that didn’t mean that

This entry was posted in Credit Cards, Entertainment, Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to How I Practically Stole a Wii

1. Laurence says:

I’m failing to see how $313.97 is *stealing*… Especially when you could get one from eBay (albeit used) for less than $200 (still too much for me though!)

2. Cristi Smith says:

Actually that was a very good cost considering everything that was bought. I bought mine new because I wanted to be sure that the warranty would be good if something did happen. When you buy something expensive like that you are risking a lot! I did buy the board off ebay but figured for less than a 100 dollars I could take the risk. My games that I have bought since are all off ebay. But for me a console that cost almost 300 I wanted new. I wish I had gotten the same deal as you. But then again I don’t have the cash back card and the gift cards for amazon. I rarely shop there. I think you did an amazing job. I love my wii and I think you and your family will too.

3. MommyMel says:

One last purchase to make: the remote charger because the remote will eat through the batteries.

4. I think it’s a good deal. You could have gotten better deal on Ebay or Craigslist but then there is a risk that you may get a bad unit.

5. Monkey Mama says:

Agreed with first poster. My spouse buys and sells video games and gaming systems. For that, our system was free. Though money was spent on the Wii (used), most the accessories will come with, as well as some games, and will be much cheaper than any new console.

We’ve never come across a bad used unit (knock on wood) and we have seen tens of them. But I admit we always keep the best pickings for ourselves.

This is a way to get video games and systems, and accessories, at very little cost. People often sell a pile of games to my spouse for $10 – games that can be sold on ebay for $100+.

There is not a lot of risk buying this stuff used, in my opinion. You don’t risk that much at used prices.

6. Aaron Margeson says:

FYI, the Wii is being reduced to $200 in a matter of weeks. In fact, Buy.com was already selling it for that just a few days ago.

Highly recommend slickdeals.net and dealnews.com when looking for good deals especially on electronics and computer stuff!

7. raghubilhana says:

I thought this website was about teaching people how to save money(advice about saving). Here is an article explaining how someone saved by spending over $300.00

Should I even be spending my time here?

8. You proved what a smart shopper you really are!

Good work.

9. Our wii truly was FREE. My husband worked Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Christmas, New Years Eve and NY due to a layoff and others being sick. (Orginally he was to be on vacation from mid Nov thru the end of the year). His company wanted to show their appreciation and gave him 3 $100 prepaid VISA cards. (In addition to his getting triple pay for the holidays and getting to reschedule them into this current year)

He got it at one of those crazy after the holiday sales at Circuit City as they were being liquidated for under $200 including the charger and several games and controlers. I think he ended up with about $35 left on one of the prepaid cards. He wisely bought games that other family members do not have and we swap them around to kind of have a family game library.

10. maxia says:

I agree with the posters, buying a wi in today’s economy is silly and expensive at any price. That money could have went for something really necessary for the home.

11. Fe2O3ez says:

I really don’t see an issue with Jennifer purchasing\stealing a Wii if that’s what she enjoys and chooses to be the best outlet for her entertainment. To each his\her own…

However, as with some of the fellow savers here, I like to put into Savings the amount that I save from various frugalities – just saved $77 on a $200 grocery bill – so the question is, did you move the ~$300 saved to your Emergency or other account so that it is more like $300 earned??

12. Gail says:

What in the world is a Wii? Okay I have my head in the sand apparently. I have no clue what this item is or why anyone would want to spend that much money for one, but if you think you got a good deal, you are happy with your purchase, and could afford it why not. What your article showed is that you could get something for less than half price with wise shopping (whether we think it is important or not). My purchase of a second sewing machine would probably have been frowned on also as a frivolous purchase, but it wasn’t to me–and it is paid for! That is the important thing.

Saving money has an end and that is being able to enjoy thoroughly what you saved. Sounds like you did and continue to enjoy it.