19 Fall Tune Ups and Checks to Save You Money Throughout the Winter

We just had our first cool snap of the year. While it will be hot again by the end of the week, the cool weather reminded me of the things I need to do to get my home and family ready for the colder months ahead. Some simple preparation and prevention efforts now will save me money, hassle, and discomfort in the long run. Many of these items will cost some money up front, but they are usually cheaper when done before it gets too cold. The first night the temperature drops to freezing is not the time to find out that the heater doesn’t work and that the tech charges 50% extra for emergency service. Get your stuff tuned up and prepped for winter now, before you really need it.

Winteri

This entry was posted in Frugal, Health, Holidays, Housing, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to 19 Fall Tune Ups and Checks to Save You Money Throughout the Winter

1. Start Christmas shopping, yes, before you realize the time, and now, when you see the gifts you want to buy at bargain prices, and while you are not emotionally stressed. That’s when we buy the wrong stuff and waste money.

John DeFlumeri Jr, Clearwater,Fla

2. Lori says:

Thank you for this! We just bought a new house and I’ve been looking for information on seasonal maintenance.

3. whitestripe says:

meanwhile, in australia, start shopping for swimwear :D

4. Steven says:

Hey! Don’t forget the flu shots.

5. Kelly says:

Start a secret santa gift exchange now with your family. Not only do you save money, but you have plenty of time to purchase a thoughtful gift for the person whose name you drew. Our family is spread across the country, so we found it convenient and fun to use an online exchange called elfster. We’ve been exchanging gifts this way for the past ten years, online for the last five or so. Last year we organized a separate exchange for the cousins. I enjoyed shopping with our 2 and 3 year old to help each to pick out something for the cousin whose name they drew. They loved it and we spent time after Christmas creating homemade thank you notes. Also, it cuts down on the amount of “stuff” we don’t need.

Sorry, Christmas is already on my mind and it is only September. Yikes!

6. Gail says:

I laughed at buy winter clothes now. I’ve been wearing the same coats, hats, mitttens for years and so has hubby. Not saying we may not need new ones, especially since I have lost a lot of weight this year, but they aren’t in the budget and even though they look a bit shabby, they are still warm and will do for another year. Maybe next year. I keep my eyes open all year for yard sale thrift store specials on winter work shirts for hubby and work on making my own winter clothes as I have time and energy.

I’ve already started stocking up the pantry and medicine chest. Anything that you don’t want to have to make a run out to get during a blizzard be sure you have on hand like postage stamps, birthday/gift cards, etc.

7. ThiNg says:

I’ll second the good review of elfster. We use it at work and at home. Makes it sooo simple!