YMCA Membership Benefits

I have successfully completed a month of visiting the gym. More specifically, I have religiously gone to the gym twenty-six times in the past twenty-nine days. I am certainly not remotely close to winning any body building prizes, but I am quite proud of myself.

OK. Don’t roll your eyes. I am not going to start preaching to you that you should be exercising more. That is your decision and I respect your decisions, especially when I know that my new found zeal for going to the gym could wane in the weeks and months to come. Nevertheless, I am enjoying myself and that is because I am getting so much more than a workout from the gym.

My wife and I have a family membership to our loc

This entry was posted in Health, Personal Finance, Saving Money and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to YMCA Membership Benefits

1. David, that is great, making a new, positive habit of taking care of yourself. Way to Go! Plan your off days from execise, but on those days add at least a long brisk walk as a substitute, because that will keep you on an exercise mentality, and prevent you from any feelings of having dropped out of your new routine. Continued success!

2. Ann says:

Here in the country, nothing is quite that convenient! LOL

However, I’ve found it well worth my while to invest in a weight bench and free weights. Nice high from the endorphins. :-)

You and your wife are definitely getting value for your money!

3. Monkey Mama says:

Our YMCA is pretty expensive actually.

As an even cheaper alternative, get a membership at a no-frills gym, and take classes through the city. My aerobics class is $2.50/class, and we pay $30/month for family gym membership. They have weights, cardio, trainers, and childcare. (We paid $200 for “lifetime childcare” at this location).

Of course, the frills we live without are showers, and saunas. No pool, but we have access to one.

Obviously, you have a few other perks, but I share this for other people – there are cheaper and convenient options.

I actually rarely go to the gym. I prefer classes, I prefer bike riding, going for walks, swimming, or just popping in a work out video (in winter). BUT, I do like to change it up and find I can have a wide variety of workout choices without spending a lot of money.

4. persephone says:

I have gone to our local Y 6 days per week for the past decade. It has been a wonderful escape for me. When my kids were younger, I used the YMCA child care and I loved that I could peek through the window of the child care room to check on my kids. Now they are both on old enough to work out and use the machines so someone from my household (husband, kids or me) is usually at the Y for about 8 hours a day. Now if we could only get our schedules in synch so that we could go together!

5. spicoli says:

One of the things that I like about the YMCA (where I belong) and really any good gym is the variety that is offered. Unlike Monkey Mama, I go to the gym to get exercise but I agree that I like to change up my routine and the YMCA lets me do that. Now I am in to spinning but last summer I was more of a swimmer.

6. Anne says:

@Monkey Mama, Not all cities have cheap classes like yours. Ours does not. However, I agree with the premise that you have to look at ALL your options: for me that has also included looking into adult dance classes, which gives me the best bang for my buck, because I enjoy it and I’ll always go!

7. scott says:

You all do know the Y has a sliding income scale program right? It goes upto to like 28 grand a year to qualify for a single. The limit is higher on family. And there are no joining fees at least in my area. I wound up on unemployment. I pay 16 bucks a month for myself. and my son.