How I Retired Early

This entry was posted in Frugal, Personal Finance, Retirement, Saving Money, Work and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to How I Retired Early

1. Shane says:

Liked this article a lot – thanks for sharing !!

And Good Luck !! :-)

2. Broken Arrow says:

Nice to hear from you again! Glad to hear that your retirement is going swimmingly I presume.

Interesting that I seem to have very similar goals (if you replace books with the internet).

Thanks for sharing, because it gives me hope that perhaps I can too can make it some day.

3. Analise says:

I’ve wondered how things were going for you… I used to enjoy reading your blog. Any chance you’ll resume? I’m sure folks would benefit from reading about your life in retirement, especially the financial part.

Glad things are going well and thanks for sharing.

4. EEinNJ says:

I can relate to your post. It’s interesting to note how things changed along the way compared to your plans. Stepping out of the work world early can be risky because of that. Unexpected things happen, and nothing’s getting any cheaper.

I’ve had a few period of what I called “pre-retirement” aka consulting work or actual unemployment between contract jobs. It’s fun the first couple of times, but then it feels like it’s time to get back to work. I went back to 9-5, but with a small company at a job I enjoy.

As a relatively young person, hopefully you will find a rewarding “second act”.

5. A Marino says:

I liked your article because it just shows what can be done when you make a plan and stick to it, You took lemons and made lemonade out of it.

Your story is very inspiring and easy to read. You are young enough that if you ever decided to work again out of wanting or needing to; you will be able and young enought to still make that decision. Good luck!

I think we all second guess alot of decisions that we make.

6. Ricky Roma says:

Great article. I think one thing that would stand out for some folks is the lack of expenses necessary for families with children. That adds up to quite a lot, especially in a one-income family. Makes it a bit more difficult to plan and execute within the same timeframes.

7. Raymond says:

This is awesome. I really line the foresight and planning you put into it. I’d like to find that old Mother Earth article and check it out!

8. Noel says:

Fine, you are now retired and thanks for sharing how you got there? What worries me more is the vacuum that will be created in my life after my retirement. Now, my life is so tied up that idea of staying home freaks me out. I honestly get bored. My family doesn’t expect me to pay attention to them all the time.
    I really wonder, what is your experience in this regard and whats you current engagement?
    Thanks again for sharing.

9. clauduia says:

I share your desire to retire early, but IMO, $18 to $21,000 a year to live on from age 47 on, even with a paid off house, is not enough to live on except in a truly spartan lifestyle. Inflation will do a number of your savings, and the big risk here is that if you do find you don’t have enough money, by the time you realize that, you’ll have difficulty getting hired.

Also, FYI, you don’t pay taxes on withdrawals from Roth IRAs. Your contributions were made post-tax, so you don’t pay taxes again.

10. Cindy M says:

Can’t resist asking, believing it’s not really not such a dumb question and hoping you’ll be forthcoming about this – What in the world are you doing with yourself all day, day after day, now you’re retired with hopefully another 30 or so years left to you? I’d find your answers to that a far more interesting thing to read. Thanks.

11. Jan says:

Congratulations and thanks for sharing!

12. minny says:

Great article.

And, of course if you ever want or need to you can get a part time of full time job for as long as you want.

A dream is a dream – until you write it down when it becomes a goal!

13. annie says:

Great article. What are you paying for health insurance?

14. Lester says:

For the most part your desire to retire early is admirable but I disagree on paying off your mortgage “early”. By getting a low interest loan for 30 years I would rather invest/save the difference and let the monies compound over this period. With the downturn of the present real estate market home owners equity has dropped significantly and have difficulty tapping into this equity in emergency situations. The difference over time of putting away the emergency monies would have been realized sooner. I would rather have a liquid asset to get to rather than a difficult one as my house. At a early part of my working career I think it’s important to accumulate investment assets to work for me over time and at the same time make the minimum payments to my 30 year mortgage. If, I got laid off or injured and was not able to bring in my regular income to cover my monthly expenses I would be able to tap into this emergency fund to tide me over until things got better. Other than that I wish you a happy and prosperous retirement! Also, what are you doing for healthcare coverage?

15. Gail says:

Awesome that as a young person you had the foresight to plan where you wanted to go and figured out how to do it. I seem to remember reading that article myself. So glad that you have achieved your dream.

I too have that same love of books, but have also found ways to have them for cheaper. I’m home on disability and even with poor health, I’m never bored. I don’t understand why people are bored if they don’t have a ratrace to go to every day. There are so many things to do if you don’t have to worry about getting out of bed and out the door every day.

The poster seems to have been living a spartan lifestyle all his adult life and I doubt that continuing to do so will now be a problem for him as it is his habit.

16. jb says:

Lower expenses, avoid or pay off debt, and invest as much as you can. This is what it takes. It’s not that hard to understand. It’s hard to actually do in real life because real life is difficult. There’s nothing wrong with building the surplus and having that surplus take over for your own labor one day. If investments are paying your bills that makes you pretty free in this world.