Save Money Fast: Don’t Buy Disposable

If you’re looking to cut your spending in a hurry, one way to do that is to stop buying so many disposable products. Disposables may seem like a good deal because, for example, a pack of paper plates costs $2.00 and a set of durable plates costs $40. However, the durable plates will last you many years, whereas you’ll be back at the store buying more paper plates in two weeks. At that rate, it will only take you ten months to recoup the cost of the durable plates. Every time you use the plates from then on will be “free.” Buying reusable products does require a larger outlay of cash on the front end, but the amount they reduce your monthly spending over time is dramat

This entry was posted in Food / Groceries, Frugal, Personal Finance, Saving Money, Shopping and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Save Money Fast: Don’t Buy Disposable

1. sewingirl says:

Remember when every household had a rag bag (box, drawer, etc.) I still do, but it has gone out of style. All of our old towels, sheets, and worn out clothing items were cut into useable sizes, and then washed, or thrown away if necessary, and it didn’t cost a dime.

2. Annie Jones says:

Great post! We do all of the things you mentioned, at least to some extent.

I started using a Diva Cup about a year ago. I’m 45, and oh how I wish I’d found out about them sooner. All the money I could have saved!

But there are more advantages than just saving money. Of course, using a Diva Cup reduces waste. Menstrual cramps are much less severe than when I used tampons. And not one single time have I had leaking like I did with tampons. They are simply a much better alternative for me.

3. A very informative article. In times past we think that using disposal items was easy and quicker. Yes they were but also expensive if we want to live frugal. Now is the time for us to go back to the days were every cent is needed and so we cannot afford to waste money again.

4. Tightwad says:

I can go you one better

5. Cindy M says:

Don’t laugh, I’m probably about the only one I know who’s seriously done this, but what about old-fashioned hankies to cut out the expense of buying kleenex? I found both a 3-pack of inexpensive cotton ladies and a 4-pack of men’s white hankies at one of the dollar stores. I use the bigger men’s hankies at home and tuck clean a ladies hankie in my purse when necessary. I actually prefer them to kleenex now and haven’t had to buy a box of kleenex for ages. Just throw them in the wash often. Don’t know if you could get a loved one to carry one, but I remember my dad years ago never minded pocketing a clean one daily. I don’t even mind ironing the ones I keep in my purse.

6. minny says:

I came into a lot of old towels – I cut them into squares and hemmed them on the machine – they are fab, just like you say. They clean much more easily than paper towels.

Babies nappies (as we call diapers), here in the UK many counties give a starter kit of cloth nappies and bin, chemicals etc. This is to try to stop used disposable nappies in the landfill where the waste goes. AMAZINGLY, hardly anyone takes advantage of this although they are told!

There is always the time when disposable is useful for convenience – but – as you say – the amount of money to be saved here can be staggering!

Great post.

7. Hazel Watson says:

I’ve nearly always avoided using disposables, basically because I’m frugal (read: cheap) and I still do have a rag bag. However, I’ve found that many of the man made fabrics are not much good for cleaning because they do not absorb well.

It’s been many years since my babies were in diapers, and I’ve since worn out all I had. But I found an entire bolt of diaper fabric for $1.00 several years ago and am still making dishtowels from it! Also, you can find lots of used terry cloth towels and cotton sheets in the re-use shops. (You can tell the 100% cotton sheets pretty easily because they clearly need ironing!)They can be used as is, or cut them up for smaller rags.

8. Gail says:

Absolutely!!! I have had the same roll of paper towels for 2 1/2 years now and it is barely half gone. Only used for the worst of the worst now–stuff I don’t want in the washer. We use rags (old t-shirts once they fall off hubby,old towels, old washclothes, etc.), we use cloth napkins, we use hankies (I’ve picked up plenty of lovely ones at yard sales), etc. It is a huge savings. When we had little ones I used cloth diapers.

Every time I see someone at the store with their mounds of paper goods i just shake my head at the waste.

The only thing we can’t do is the water. We have a well that due to my illness I can’t afford to risk drinking the water so we buy drinking water by the gallon. It is an expense I hate, but I hate being sick worse. The only way to avoid it it a very expensive system to hold and filter the well water which we can’t afford. We have to filter all the water that comes into the house, but as we can’t be sure when we have had heavy rains, etc. if it is safe to drink (filters can’t take out all germs) I don’t take the chance. But still when I think of all the savings I do with not using other disposables, I feel better about it.

9. Samantha says:

I completely agree with the tips given in the article. By buying reusable items you are doing you’re bit for the environment and thus also saving a lot of money. It has a twin effect. I use reusable eco-friendly bags and do my little bit for the planet and my purse. Bagsbuy has a good selection in eco-friendly bags and good discounts too.

10. Pingback: Eco-friendly Shopping » Impact of Human on Earth

11. Ara says:

I think when we go for disposables, we’ll spend much than spending less. And we can’t guarantee that its safe and we’re doing the right thing. Because disposables contains other harmful chemicals that may impair our health as well as our environment. I would still choose buying stainless steel containers as my food storage because I can guarantee that I can save more, and protect our nature.