Cheers Theme Song and Financial Realities

Television has given us a lot of relationships with characters who we can never meet. I remember characters from a lot of TV shows better than I am able to recall certain childhood friends and classmates and I am pretty sure that I still know the TV characters better than I have known a lot of people with whom I once interacted every day. I am sure that you have television memories, too, and that some are shared with almost everyone you know while others are all but forgotten by most of us.

I still remember my early childhood sadness when Brigit Loves Bernie was cancelled in 1973 after only one season, despite being the 5th highest rated show on television at the time. I understood why

This entry was posted in Entertainment, Personal Finance, Relationships, Work and tagged , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Cheers Theme Song and Financial Realities

1. Financial lessons from Cheers,… hmmmm. Perhaps the one I most relate to most (having graduated college in earlier economic bad times) is that having an English degree from a good school doesn’t guarantee that you wouldn’t spend time waitressing. (Although I didn’t waitress… I taught tennis.)

2. Natalie says:

Wow.

3. spicoli says:

The only thing I would add is that spending all of your extra cash at a bar is not the best way to save or to live! ;-)

4. persephone says:

I agree regarding human contact. Community is tremedously important, especially now!

5. sewingirl says:

That was as masterfull a piece of segueism as I have ever read. But you’re dating yourself with the Bridget Loves Bernie ref, BTW how about The Girl With Something Extra? I would have loved a little ESP lately.

6. Ann says:

I’m not exactly known for being a people person and have a tendency to avoid socializing. LOL

That being said, the handful of close friends (scattered around the US) I have are priceless to me! We keep in touch on a regular enough basis (generally phone, now that long-distance isn’t an arm and a leg… okay, I’m showing my age! LOL) and can talk about anything.

I also occasionally voluntarily get involved with more casual friends. As a matter of fact, I’m headed to a woodcarving gathering in Minnesota in about a week. Partially, it’s to see some people I know; partially, it’s to pick up some supplies; and, partially, it’s to get away. Plus, periodically I’ll arrange to have lunch or dinner with old friends when I head back to “town” for an eye appointment or whatever.

Doesn’t have to cost a lot when we get together. We’re there for the conversation and company, not to eat an expensive meal.

Yup, friends are the frosting on what I consider to be the perfect cake known as my everyday life. :-)

7. baselle says:

re: financial lessons from Cheers

Just remember that Cliff Claven is not a financial planner! :D

8. wanda says:

“did not make it easier for me to lose a weekly dose of McLean Stevenson, whose tragic death (as Colonel Henry Blake) in M*A*S*H remains the most shocking and tragic moment I have ever seen on scripted television.”

I remember this television event like it was yesterday. I was devastated. I turned off my tv and didn’t watch it for months. I couldn’t believe the show had done this. It took a long time to get over.

Thanks for reminding me what a wonderful theme song Cheers had. I still love the show and I think I’ll watch a few episodes on one of the internet web sites that show them.

Great post!

9. Jan says:

Great article as usual David. I always enjoy your take on things.

I too, was devastated when we lost Colonel Henry Blake on M*A*S*H. Thanks for the memories.

The only thing I can add from “Cheers” is that all those folks could have saved a lot of money if they had put it in their piggy banks rather than a beer mug. This is not a judgement – just reality. However, the other reality is that if they hadn’t formed the small “community” at Cheers their lives would have been the worse for it.

So, the lesson for me would be that I need to spend my money where it counts for ME and that most things in life are a trade off.

Again, excellent article!!! and thanks to all those who have commented and shared their thoughts.